Andrés Escobar was a Colombian former footballer who played as a defender for the Atlético Nacional, BSC Young Boys, and the Colombia national team. However, his career was cut short after his murder on July 2, 1994, in Medellín.
Andrés Escobar Saldarriaga
He was born on March 13, 1967.
He died on July 2, 1994, at the age of 27, in Medellín, Colombia due to multiple gunshot wounds.
Andrés studied at the Colegio Calasanz and later completed his graduation from the Colegio Mariscal Robledo Sede Conrado González.
- Father – Darío Escobar (Banker)
- Mother – Beatriz Saldarriaga
- Siblings – Santiago Escobar (Older Brother) (Manager, Former Footballer), María Ester Escobar (Sister)
6 ft or 183 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Escobar had dated –
- Pamela Cascardo – He had been engaged to dentist Pamela Cascardo for 5 years until his death in 1994, and the couple was to get married the same year.
Race / Ethnicity
He had Colombian ancestry.
- His thick eyebrows
- He had a scar on his right cheek.
- His clean-shaven looks
Andrés Escobar Facts
- He was raised in a middle-class household.
- Growing up, Andrés was a devout Catholic and attended church regularly until the death of his mother at the age of 52.
- Andrés took an interest in football at an early age and soon began to take part in numerous competitions at the school level.
- He and his brother Santiago played alongside one another for the Atlético Nacional in the past.
- Andrés sported jersey number 2.
- His pleasing appearance at all times earned him the nickname “El Caballero del Fútbol” (In English The Gentleman of Football). Other than that, his incredible skill set gained him a 2nd nickname “The Immortal Number 2”.
- During the year of his murder in July 1994, Andrés scored an own goal in a match against the United States at the 1994 FIFA World Cup, that eventually led to a major loss for his team. Nevertheless, 5 days after his return to Colombia, he was caught off-guard by 3 men while he was parked in El Indio and shot 6 times with a.38 caliber pistol. Witnesses said that the men repeatedly shot him one bullet at a time, followed by the word “Goal!” and left him to die.
- A further investigation into his death revealed that he was shot 6 times because the commentator on the day of his losing match against the United States said the word “Goal!” six times. Also, it is said that the men who shot him were part of a well-known Colombian drug cartel and one of the shooters named Humberto Castro Muñoz also worked for drug trafficker Santiago Gallón who had lost a lot of money in a bet on the match that Andrés cost his team.
- For a short while, his death was also being linked with prominently known drug dealer Pablo Escobar. However, no connections were found.
- Sometime after his death, his family started the Andrés Escobar Project that aimed to aid the less privileged or disadvantaged children in learning to play soccer.
- In 2019, the Malayalam-language film titled Argentina Fans Kaattoorkadavu was released as a dedication to Andrés. It was directed by Indian director Midhun Manuel Thomas and featured the likes actor Kalidas Jayaram and . However, the film turned out to be a complete failure.
Facts of Andrés Escobar
- full nameAndrés Escobar
- weight76 kg
- height6 ft