Angel Haze is an American rapper, singer, poet, and TV personality, best known for her debut studio album, Dirty Gold (2013), and her debut Internet album, Back to the Woods (2015). She is also recognized as one of the 1st pansexual and agender rappers in the industry, and identified neither as female nor male, but “an experience”. As an amateur rapper, Angel worked hard for her spot in the rapidly growing industry and uploaded a number of mixtapes to the internet between 2009 and 2012, titled Altered Ego, King, Voice, and New Moon, which were free to download. She began her professional career in 2012 after she released a mixtape titled Reservation, which was named “6th-best Mixtape of 2012” by BBC’s music reviewer, Mike Diver. This led to an album contract under Universal Republic Records label and then to Republic Records within the same year.
The singles, Battle Cry with , and Echelon (It’s My Way), which was also a debut single from her 1st studio album from 2013 gained her a lot of attention. The album’s release wasn’t without problems, as it was scheduled for 2014, but she leaked it in mid-December 2013, which led to low 1st-week sales after the official release, just over 500. This didn’t stop her, and on September 14, 2015, she self-released the internet album which she described as “just something to share before a sophomore”. In late 2016, she released her debut single, Resurrection, from her 2nd studio album with an unannounced release date, with a working title Roses Will Rise Again. 2017 saw the release of the single No Limits, while in 2018 she released a single titled Brooklyn. She has also amassed a large fanbase online with more than 300k followers on Facebook and more than 200k followers on Twitter and Instagram.
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Because she had to move around very often in her teenage years, Angel had to switch between going to public schools and being homeschooled. She also finished high school a year earlier than she was supposed to.
- Fuller lips
- Beautiful smile
- Multiple tattoos
Best Known For
- Her debut EP, New York (2012), debut studio album, Dirty Gold (2013), and the self-released internet album, Back to the Woods (2015)
- Her collaborations with well-known artists or groups such as Rudimental, Sia, Timeflies, , RDGLDGRN, Natasha Bedingfield, , , Kwamie Liv, and others
Angel Haze released her debut studio album, Dirty Gold, on December 30, 2013, via Republic Records and Island Records. The album consisted of 12 tracks, titled Sing About Me, Echelon (It’s My Way), A Tribe Called Red, Black Synagogue, Deep Sea Diver, April’s Fool, Angels & Airwaves, Battle Cry ft. Sia, Black Dahlia, Dirty Gold, and Planes Fly. The album was met with generally positive reviews by music critics of Metacritic. It debuted at number 15 on the Billboard Heatseekers Albums chart but failed to chart on Billboard 200 because her own leak ruined its 1st-week sales, and the album sold only between 500 and 1k copies.
First TV Show
Angel Haze made their first TV show appearance as ‘Herself’ in an episode titled Introducing V. Bozeman and Angel Haze of the talk-show series Huff Post’s BV 365 in December 2012.
Angel Haze Favorite Things
- Cartoon Characters – Yumeko Jabami from Kakegurui, Pickle Rick from Rick & Morty
- Comedian –
- Musical Inspirations – , , , ,
- Personal Quote – “I open my heart to all things new. I embrace change in this season. I refuse to block my own blessings.”
Source – , , , ,
Angel Haze Facts
- She was born into a military family. Her dad died from an accidental self-inflicted gunshot wound to the stomach before her birth, and she grew up with her mom.
- In her youth, her mom met a preacher in the Great Apostolic Faith church, who took both of them in. Angel later described living in the church as being “in a cult” which was filled with domestic violence and manipulation.
- Angel was s*xually abused by a family friend between the ages of 7 and 10. She tackled the issue in her version of Eminem’s track titled Cleaning Out My Closet released in October 2012.
- She used creative writing to cope with her situation and her 1st poem was published at the age of 13 after she won a school competition.
- Due to heavy restrictions of the church, which forbid things such as dating, listening to music, wearing jewelry, talking to people outside of the church, Angel and her mom eventually left it. After they were threatened by the pastor for leaving, they settled in Brooklyn when she was 15 years old.
- Angel began freestyle rapping at the age of 18 and took interest in making YouTube videos. She uploaded her work to Tumblr and similar blogs and attained her 1st fanbase there.
- Angel is self-taught in Tsalagi, the language of the Cherokee people, whose ancestry she possesses from her maternal side.
- She hates hash brown and any other types of -based meals. On the other hand, she loves french fries.
- Despite not identifying as either male or female, Angel hates being written about with pronouns “they” or “them” because it makes her sound like she’s “4 people” and not “just 1 person.” For that reason, she doesn’t care whether people address her as “he” or “she.”
- Angel leaked her own studio album, Dirty Gold, in 2013, because she was angry that the labels were delaying it. The leak was immediately removed and the album released officially within the year.
- She released a series of freestyles and acoustic covers in 2013, titled ’30 Gold’ series. She put her own spin on songs by artists such as , , Drake, , Kanye West, , , and John Newman.
- In 2014, she was a featured artist on Nick Jonas’s track Numb from his 2nd eponymous studio album released in November of that year.
- In 2015, Angel released 2 tracks, CANDLXS and GXMES, that were non-album singles. CANDLXS was a tribute to her ex-girlfriend, Ireland Baldwin.
- Angel announced in March 2018 that she’s “turning over a new leaf” and that “Angel Haze is dead now!” She officially changed her middle name, as well as her artist name from Angel Haze to Roes as a “fitting end Angel Haze era.” She added that who she was and who she is in 2018 does not relate and that she wanted a fresh start.
- In 2018, Angel recorded a cover of ‘s track, Same Love, which was dedicated to her own experiences of growing up LGBTQ and family struggles she experienced. She also recorded a freestyle version of it back in October 2013.
- In July 2018, the only person she ever considered her father, who she didn’t name, passed away.
- She was a featured artist on ‘s song, Everybody Come Together, from her 2019 Album, ROLL WITH ME.
- Angel has a habit of painting her walls with original art, often depicting Frida Kahlo and other quotes or imagery people she feels inspired with.
- Visit her official website @ angelhazemusic.com.
- Follow her on , , , , , , and .
Featured Image by Jørund Føreland Pedersen / / CC BY-SA 3.0
Facts of Raykeea Angel Wilson
- Gender Female
- full nameRaykeea Angel Wilson
- middle nameAngel
- nicknamesAngel Haze, Hazey, Raeen-Roes
- birthplaceDetroit, Michigan, United States
- Date of Birth July 10, 1991
- Age 31 years 10 months
- Horoscope Cancer
- Lucky Number 10
- Lucky Stone Moonstone
- Lucky Color Silver
- Best Match for Marriage Taurus, Pisces, Scorpio
- ethnicity / ethnic backgroundAfrican-American and Cherokee Native American
- net worth$500 thousand
- professionRapper, Singer, TV Personality, Poet
- weight53 kg or 117 lbs
- height5 ft 5.5 in or 166.5 cm
- hair colorBlack
- eye colorDark Brown
- body type / buildSlim