Aryna Sabalenka is a Belarusian professional tennis player who is renowned for her fierce attitude and aggressive baseline play that is built around a powerful serve backed up by her ability to score points through groundstroke winners. She rose to prominence in 2017 when she led the Belarus women’s national team to an unexpected runner-up finish at the year’s Fed Cup. Aryna is one of the rare players who has had remarkable success at a very young age in both the singles and the doubles formats of the game and has been ranked in the ‘Top 10’ of both the formats by the WTA (Women’s Tennis Association). Although she won the singles event at the season-ending WTA Elite Trophy in 2019, her Grand Slam career has seen markedly better performances in the doubles format. Beginning with the French Open in 2019, she reached at least the quarterfinals (doubles) of each of the 4 Grand Slam events till the Australian Open in 2020, a streak that included her first Grand Slam title at the 2019 US Open.
Washington, D.C., United States
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Aryna has dated –
- Matvei Bozhko
- Dmitry Tursunov – Rumor
- In 2019, Aryna announced her engagement on a Belarusian talk show but did not reveal her partner’s name, although she did mention that her fiancé is not from Belarus.
- Toned Physique
- Has a ‘Tiger’ tattooed on her left arm
- Charming smile
- Gleaming face
- Long, straight hair
Aryna has been sponsored by brands such as –
- Wilson Sporting Goods
Aryna Sabalenka Favorite Things
- Tennis Surfaces – Grass Courts, Hard Courts
- Tennis Players/Role Models – , ,
- Food – Desserts, Pancakes
- Pet – Dogs
- Hobby – Reading
- Book – The Count of Monte Cristo (1844)
- Movies – Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988), Home Alone (1990), Titanic (1997), Never Back Down (2008), The Hustle (2019)
- Travel Destination – Brazil
- Car Brand – BMW
- Tennis Tournament/Event – US Open
Source – , , Instagram
Aryna Sabalenka Facts
- She started playing on the ITF (International Tennis Federation) Women’s Circuit in 2012, at the age of just 14, despite never having played on the ITF Junior Circuit.
- She won her first 2 titles in successive weeks in October 2015, both in Antalya, Turkey.
- By the end of 2016, she had broken into the ‘Top 150’ in the singles rankings. In 2017, she reached her first WTA final at the Tianjin Open but lost that game to her childhood idol in 2 closely-contested sets. The performance helped her reach the 76th position in the WTA singles rankings. She finished the year with another title at the Mumbai Open and ended the year ranked 73.
- Aryna won her first WTA title at the Premier-level when she triumphed at the Connecticut Open in 2018. That year, she also recorded her then-best performance in the singles format at the Grand Slam level when she reached the 4th round of the US Open. Although she did not make it to the quarterfinal stage, she upset the then World No. 5 in the 3rd round and was the only player in the tournament to win a set against , the eventual champion.
- She defeated 8 players ranked in the ‘Top 10’ in 2018 which helped her reach No. 11 in the WTA singles rankings and for her stellar performances throughout the year, she was named the ‘WTA Newcomer of the Year’.
- Her first win over a player ranked World No. 1 came in the semifinals of the 2019 Wuhan Open where she defeated . She won the title by defeating Alison Riske in the final.
- Aryna’s doubles career took a serious turn in 2019 as well. She had started the year ranked No. 73 in the world in the format and began partnering with in January of that year. The pair struck gold at just their 2nd event together when they won the 2019 Indian Wells title where they defeated 3 of the top 5 seeds.
- They repeated their title triumph by winning the subsequent Miami Open, where they vanquished 3 of the top 6 seeds, thus completing the ‘Sunshine Double’. Consequently, Aryna rose to No. 21 in the WTA doubles rankings. Aryna and Elise also became the 5th doubles team to complete the ‘Sunshine Double’ and the first pair since and in 2015, to do so.
- After the pair won the 2019 US Open and as a result of further successful outings, Aryna reached the World No. 2 ranking in the doubles format in October 2019.
Featured Image by si.robi / / CC BY-SA 2.0
Facts of Aryna Siarhiejeŭna Sabalenka
- Gender Male
- full nameAryna Siarhiejeŭna Sabalenka
- middle nameSiarhiejeŭna
- nicknamesThe Tiger
- birthplaceMinsk, Belarus
- Date of Birth May 05, 1998
- Age 23 years 6 months
- Horoscope Taurus
- Lucky Number 10
- Lucky Stone Emerald
- Lucky Color Green
- Best Match for Marriage Virgo, Cancer, Capricorn
- ethnicity / ethnic backgroundBelarusian
- net worth$3 million
- professionProfessional Tennis Player
- weight80 kg or 176.5 lbs
- height6 ft or 183 cm
- hair colorLight Brown
- eye colorGreen
- body type / buildAthletic
- collegeBelarusian State University
- fatherSergey Sabalenka
- favorite moviesDirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988), Home Alone (1990), Titanic (1997), Never Back Down (2008), The Hustle (2019)
- favorite booksThe Count of Monte Cristo (1844
- favorite foodDesserts, Pancakes