Ben Johnson is a Canadian former sprinter who had won the ‘Bronze’ medal at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics in both the 100 m sprint event and the 4×100 m relay event. In the 100 m sprint event, he had also won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 1986 Moscow Goodwill Games, the 1986 Edinburgh Commonwealth Games, and the 1985 Canberra World Cup; and the ‘Silver’ medal at the 1982 Brisbane Commonwealth Games. In the 4×100 m relay event, he had won the ‘Gold’ medal at the 1986 Edinburgh Commonwealth Games, and the ‘Silver’ medal at both the 1982 Brisbane Commonwealth Games and the 1985 Canberra World Cup. He had also clinched a ‘Gold’ medal at the 1985 Paris World Indoor Championships in the 60 m sprint event. His career came apart, however, in 1988 after allegations of doping against him were proved which led to him being stripped of the medals that he had earned, in the 100 m sprint event, at both the 1988 Seoul Olympics and the 1987 Rome World Championships. He was suspended from the sport and had made a comeback in 1991. However, his return was marred by further failed dope tests and diminishing returns on the track. After leaving the sport for good, he has authored the books Seoul to Soul: Autobiography (2010) and De Outsider (2016).
Benjamin Sinclair Johnson, Jr.
Benoid, Benfastic, Big Ben
Falmouth, Trelawny Parish, Jamaica
Markham, York, Ontario, Canada
Ben had graduated from Yorkdale High, a secondary school in Ontario, Canada. He had then joined the Centennial College, a community college in Toronto.
- Father – Ben Johnson, Sr. (Telephone Repairman)
- Mother – Gloria Johnson (Cook, Waitress) (d. 2004)
- Siblings – He has 3 siblings including a sister.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
He has a daughter from an unnamed relationship and through her, he has a granddaughter.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Afro-Jamaican descent.
- Toned physique
- Clean-shaven look
- Affable smile
Ben has been featured in the TV commercials for –
- Cheetah Power Surge
Ben Johnson Facts
- In April 1987, at the peak of his career, Ben was inducted as a member of the ‘Order of Canada’, the 2nd highest honor for merit in the system of decorations in Canada.
- In September 1988, at the Seoul Olympics, he had become the first Canadian sprinter since Percy Williams in 1928 to win the 100 m sprint final at the Olympics. He had also improved his world record to 9.79 seconds. However, the glory was short-lived as he was stripped of the medal 3 days later as his urine sample was found to have traces of stanozolol, an anabolic steroid.
- He had first attempted a comeback in 1991, after his suspension had ended, at the Hamilton Indoor Games. He had finished 2nd in the 50 m sprint event, clocking 5.77 seconds, and was cheered on by more than 17k people. This was the largest crowd ever recorded at an indoor Canadian track and field event.
- In 1998, he had participated in a charity race where he had competed against a thoroughbred racehorse, a harness racing horse, and a stock car.
Featured Image by Ben Johnson / Instagram
Facts of Ben Johnson
- full nameBen Johnson
- Date of Birth December 30, 1961
- Age 59 years 11 months
- Horoscope Capricorn
- Lucky Number 5
- Lucky Stone Topaz
- Lucky Color Brown
- Best Match for Marriage Scorpio, Virgo, Taurus
- weight75 kg
- height5 ft 10 in