Charlie Kaufman is a talented American screenwriter, producer, director, and lyricist. A BAFTA Award winner for both “Best Original Screenplay” and “Best Adapted Screenplay”, Charlie’s writing credits in films include Being John Malkovich, Human Nature, Adaptation., Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Synecdoche, New York, and Anomalisa. He has a Bachelor’s in Fine Arts degree from New York University.
Pasadena, California, United States
Charlie Kaufman graduated from a high school in West Hartford, Connecticut and then enrolled in Boston University. However, he later transferred to New York University to study film in Kanbar Institute of Film and Television, where he obtained his degree in Bachelor’s in Fine Arts in 1980.
Charlie Kaufman is managed by William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
Girlfriend / Spouse
Charlie Kaufman has dated –
- Denise Kaufman – Charlie is married to Denise Kaufman. They have a daughter named Anna Kaufman.
- Curly hair
- Thick full face beard
- Tends to wear thick-rimmed glasses
Best Known For
Writing scripts for films like Being John Malkovich (1999), Adaptation. (2002), and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)
First TV Show
In 2004, he made his first TV show appearance as a guest on the news talk show Charlie Rose.
Charlie Kaufman Favorite Things
- Dramatists – Harold Pinter, Samuel Beckett, Eugène Ionesco, Lanford Wilson, John Guare
Charlie Kaufman Facts
- In high school, Charlie was a part of the school’s drama club and performed in numerous productions.
- It was in New York University that Charlie met fellow screenwriter Paul Proch, with whom he wrote many scripts and plays.
- Often his storylines have unique plots that combine fantasy in the real world.
- In 2003, Premiere ranked him #100 on their annual “Power 100” list, making him the only writer.
- In one of Oscar’s rarest histories, Charlie Kaufman and his fictional twin brother Donald Kaufman was nominated for an Academy Award for the screenplay of Adaptation. (2002) on February 11, 2003.
- Most of his characters are based on real people in fictional situations such as Susan Orlean, John Laroche, and himself in Adaptation. (2002), Chuck Barris in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002), in Being John Malkovich (1999).
- His earliest film memory from his childhood was watching The Sound of Music (1965) in a theater, in Long Island.
- His first big crush was actress .
- He wanted to be an actor since grade 3.
- He made the switch from acting to making films in his sophomore year because he became self-conscious, shy, and struggled in performing for a long time.
- While growing up, Pirandello’s Six Characters in Search of an Author made a significant impact on him.
- If he were on a deserted island and were allowed to take only one film with him, he would take Barton Fink (1991) because he could watch it again and again.
- Before working in the film industry, he worked in a newspaper company in the circulation department in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- After he moved to California, he worked as a writer for a comedy series Get a Life (1991-1992).
- Some of the films that he has directed include Anomalisa (2015), How and Why (2014) and Synecdoche, New York (2008).
- Writers Guild of America has included 3 of Charlie’s scripts in their list of the “101 Greatest Movie Screenplays Ever Written”.
- He has also written lyrics for numerous songs featured in films like None of Them Are You in Anomalisa (2015), Synecdoche Song, Gravity, I’m Just a Little Person, and Song for Caden in Synecdoche, New York (2008), and Hair Everywhere, and Here with You in Human Nature (2001).
- He confesses that he does not have free time; neither is he into sports and just wants to live a quiet life.
- Film director whose work has influenced him in some way is .
- He admits that negative reviews or comments online affect him a lot and lead to self-doubt.
- He is not active on social media.
Featured Image by Kim Holcomb / YouTube
Facts of Charles Stuart Kaufman
- Gender Male
- full nameCharles Stuart Kaufman
- middle nameStuart
- birthplaceNew York City, New York, United States
- Date of Birth November 19, 1958
- Age 64 years 10 months
- Horoscope Scorpio
- Lucky Number 8
- Lucky Stone Garnet
- Lucky Color Purple
- Best Match for Marriage Capricorn, Cancer, Pisces
- net worth$10 million
- professionScreenwriter, Producer, Director, Lyricist
- weight62 kg or 136.5 lbs
- height5 ft 4½ in or 164 cm
- hair colorDark Brown
- eye colorHazel
- body type / buildSlim
- collegeBoston University
- motherHelen Kaufman
- fatherMyron Kaufman