Common is an American rapper, actor, voiceover artist, and writer who has gained international acclaim with his discography that comprises of albums and tracks like Can I Borrow a Dollar?, Like Water for Chocolate, Finding Forever, Be, I Used to Love H.E.R., Soul by the Pound, and Testify. In addition to his musical finesse, he has also been cast in a variety of on-screen roles which include Chino in New Year’s Eve, James Bevel in Selma, Bob Mone in Movie 43, Elam Ferguson in Hell on Wheels, and Turner Lucas in American Gangster. Moreover, he won the Academy Award for “Best Original Song” for his song Glory from the 2014 historical drama film, Selma.
Lonnie Corant Jaman Shuka Rashid Lynn
Common, Common Sense, The Red
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Common went to Luther High School South in Chicago.
Common also attended Southern University and A&M College in Louisiana, and Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University in Tallahassee, Florida to major in business administration.
Rapper, Actor, Poet, Writer, Voiceover Artist
- Father – Lonnie Lynn (Former ABA Basketball Player, Youth Counselor)
- Mother – Dr. Mahalia Ann Hines (Educator, Former Principal of John Hope College Preparatory High School)
- Others – Lonnie Lynn (Paternal Grandfather), Mabel/Mable Malone (Paternal Grandmother)
Common is signed with Think Common Entertainment, Company, Los Angeles, California, United States.
Hip hop, Rap, Neo-Soul
Artium, Def Jam, Think Common, Universal, MCA Records, Relativity, GOOD, Geffen, Warner Bros., Loma Vista, Concord
6 ft 0½ in or 184 cm
84 kg or 185 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
Common has dated –
- (1999) – In 1999, he had a fling with author Karrine Steffans, who is famous for the Vixen series of books.
- (2000-2002) – From 2000 to 2002, he was romantically linked with singer-songwriter Erykah Badu.
- (2005-2007) – In October 2005, he started dating actress Taraji P. Henson after they met during the filming of the music video of “Testify.” The relationship went on until February 2007.
- (2007) – Actress Kerry Washington and Common dated for a short time in 2007 when she directed Common’s music video “I Want You.”
- (2007-2010) – From 2007 to 2010, the world’s #1 tennis player, Serena Williams, and Common were an item.
- (2016) – It was rumored that he was romantically involved with actress and filmmaker Laura Dern in 2016.
- Angela Rye (2017-2018) – He started dating Angela Rye in September 2017 but the duo separated the following year in March.
- (2018-Present) – There were some separation rumors in October 2020 but Tiffany and Common are very much together.
Note – Rapper Common has a daughter named Omoye Assata Lynn who was born in 1997.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of African-American descent.
- Bald head with full beard and mustache
- Freckles on the face
He did modeling for Gap clothing in 2006.
Common promoted New Era’s Layers fitted caps in 2007.
He has appeared in TV commercials for Lincoln Navigator (2008), Microsoft’s Zune (2008), NBA 2K8 (2008), Diesel’s new fragrance called “Only The Brave.”
In January 2011, his song “Be (intro)” was featured in a BlackBerry commercial.
Best Known For
His albums and tracks such as “Glory,” “Universal Mind Control,” “Go!,” “The Light,” etc.
On October 6, 1992, he released his debut album entitled Can I Borrow a Dollar? via Relativity Records. It peaked at #70 in US Hip Hop albums.
In 2002, he had a cameo appearance in the romantic comedy film Brown Sugar as himself.
First TV Show
In 2003, Common guest appeared in the sitcom Girlfriends for his role as Omar in one of the episodes.
Rapper Common was earlier a meat-eater. He stopped eating pork (pig’s meat) in 1992, beef (cattle’s meat) in 1995, and chicken in 1995. He later became a pescetarian.
Common also works out. He never gives up exercising. Minimum four days in a week is his schedule. Sometimes, he spends 5 days in a week for exercising. is the trainer under the guidance of whom, he exercises.
Common Favorite Things
- Food – Fish tacos, shrimp tacos, French fries, pizza
- Drink – Red wine, sangria
- Nighttime Snack – Rice milk, chocolate-chip cookies
- Fetish – Pinching cheeks
- Female Body Parts – Eyes, thighs, lips
- New Yorker – Jean-Michel Basquiat
- Medication – Writing as well as looking at water
- Cuisine – Soul. He also likes Mexican food.
Source – Inquisitr.com, NYMag.com, MensFitness.com
- Common grew up in the Calumet Heights neighborhood of Chicago.
- When Common was just six years old, his father relocated to Denver, Colorado because of divorce.
- During his teenage years, Common worked as a ball boy for the basketball team, Chicago Bulls. His dad helped him in getting this job.
- He earlier used to release music under the stage name “Common Sense,” but in 1995, he changed it to “Common” as another band (a ska band) sued him for using that name.
- He gives money to panhandlers, especially in New York, where he finds the boldest and most creative panhandlers.
- When he was in high school, he formed a music group with his two other friends called Trio.
- He has appeared in several music videos including “Homecoming” by .
- Common launched his own clothing line “Softwear” in collaboration with technology giant Microsoft in December 2008.
- He supports PETA and has appeared in their print ad.
- Common was previously a vegan, but now, he is a pescetarian (one who eats fish and other seafood apart from vegan stuff).
- He dislikes cheese and macaroni.
- He is the founder of the non-profit organization, “Common Ground Foundation.”
- Common is a big fan of the basketball team, Chicago Bulls, and the American football team, Chicago Bears.
- Common cites Jungle Brothers, Gil Scott-Heron, Last Poets, and as his music influencers.
- He has also done voiceover work in video games like NBA 2K8, Wanted: Weapons of Fate, and Terminator Salvation.
- From 2011 to 2014, he appeared as Elam Ferguson, a recently freed slave who is trying to find his place in the world, in the American/Canadian Western period drama television series, Hell on Wheels.
Facts of Common
- full nameCommon
- Date of Birth March 13, 1972
- Age 51 years 2 months
- Horoscope Pisces
- Lucky Number 8
- Lucky Stone Aquamarine
- Lucky Color Sea Green
- Best Match for Marriage Cancer, Scorpio
- weight84 kg
- height6 ft 0½ in