Derek O’Brien is an Indian politician, author, television personality, public speaker and quiz show host who is a Member of Parliament in the Rajya Sabha from West Bengal. On the contrary, he is also known for his appearance as the quizmaster for the “Bournvita Quiz Contest” and continued to work as one in many more quiz shows. With time, he has also amassed a huge fan base with more than 1.5 million followers on Twitter and more than 100k followers on Instagram.
158, Prince Anwar Shah Road, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Girlfriend / Spouse
Derek’s name has been linked with –
- Rila Banerjee (1991) – They married one another in 1991. They have a daughter named, Aanya.
- Dr. Tonuca Basu (2006-Present)
- Wears a pair of rectangular spectacles
- Short messy hairstyle
- Nubian nose
Derek O’Brien Favorite Things
- Books – Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
- Writer In India – Ruskin Bond
Derek O’Brien Facts
- He was raised in Kolkata by an Anglo-Indian family.
- His family origin in India began after a member of his family who was an Irish soldier moved to India in the early 1860s and married a woman of Bengali heritage.
- Derek is a huge supporter of Smt. Mamata Banerjee.
- His grandfather Amos was the first Christian to become the head of the Department of English at the Banaras Hindu University. He also taught at Ravenshaw College in Cuttack.
- He started his career as a journalist for Sportsworld magazine for a while before joining Ogilvy in 1984, where he was promoted to “Creative Head for Kolkata and Delhi.”
- In 1991, he eventually quit his job there to begin his own knowledge, education, and publishing firm called Big Ideas. However, the name was later, changed to Derek O’Brien and Associates.
- As a quizmaster, he conducted quizzes in various countries across the world including the UAE, Kuwait, Singapore, and the United States. He even worked as a quiz television host in Pakistan.
- For 3 consecutive years, Brien won the Indian Television Academy award for “Best Host in a Television Gameshow.”
- Before entering into politics, Derek was popularly known as a quizmaster who worked on Cadbury India’s Bournvita Quiz Contest which was featured on Zee TV. However, his stint as one landed him on various other quiz contests such as the Bata North Star Quiz, Maggi Quiz for Schools, and Economic Times’ for the Brand Equity Quiz. Later, in 1990
- In the past, he served as the presented of the Dalhousie Institute club.
- He made his political entry in 2004, as a member of the Trinamool Congress Parliamentary party.
- As of 2019, Derek served as the chief national spokesperson of the ‘All India Trinamool Congress’ and MP at the Rajya Sabha.
Featured Image By Souravduttaseo / / CC BY-SA 4.0
Facts of Derek O’Brien
- Gender Male
- full nameDerek O’Brien
- birthplaceKolkata, West Bengal, India
- Date of Birth March 13, 1961
- Age 60 years 8 months
- Horoscope Pisces
- Lucky Number 6
- Lucky Stone Aquamarine
- Lucky Color Sea Green
- Best Match for Marriage Cancer, Scorpio
- ethnicity / ethnic backgroundIrish and Bengali
- professionPolitician, Author, Television Personality, Public Speaker, Quizmaster
- weight77 kg or 170 lbs
- height5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
- hair colorWhite
- eye colorGreen
- body type / buildAverage
- collegeScottish Church College
- motherJoyce O’Brien
- fatherNeil O’Brien
- brothersAndy O’Brien, Barry O’Brien
- favorite booksJonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach