Ernesto Valverde is a Spanish professional soccer manager and former professional soccer player who has coached/managed several Spanish clubs including Bilbao Athletic (the reserve team of Athletic Bilbao) (2002–2003), Athletic Bilbao (2003–2005, 2013–2017), RCD Espanyol (2006–2008), Villarreal CF (2009–2010), Valencia CF (2012–2013), and FC Barcelona (2017–2020). With RCD Espanyol, he had reached the final of the UEFA Cup in the 2006-07 season; and with Athletic Bilbao, he had won the Supercopa de España in 2015. His most successful spell as a manager came with FC Barcelona where he won the La Liga title in successive seasons (2017–18, 2018–19), the Copa del Rey in 2017–18, and the Supercopa de España in 2018. His playing career was spent entirely in Spain, including at 3 clubs that he would go on to manage/coach. With RCD Espanyol, he had reached the final of the UEFA Cup in the 1987–88 season. With FC Barcelona, he had won the Copa del Rey in 1989–90 and the European Cup Winners’ Cup in the 1988–89 season.
Ernesto Valverde Tejedor
Viandar de la Vera, Cáceres, Extremadura, Spain
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
Professional Soccer Manager, Professional Soccer Player (Retired)
- Siblings – Mikel Valverde (Younger Brother) (Cartoonist)
- 10, 11, 15 – Athletic Bilbao
- 17 – RCD Mallorca
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ernesto has dated –
- Juncal Diez – Ernesto, as of December 2020, had been married to his long-term partner Juncal Diez for nearly 2 decades. They have 3 children together.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Spanish descent.
- Toned physique
- Close-cropped, spiked hair
- Affable smile
- Clean-shaven look
Ernesto Valverde Facts
- Although his playing career at the club level had lasted 15 years, including almost a decade in the La Liga, his international exposure was highly limited. In a strange coincidence, he was selected for just 1 game each for Spain at the Under-21 (1986), Under-23 (1987), and the senior international level (1990).
- He had also played 1 game, in 1993, for the Basque Country’s soccer team, a representative team that is not affiliated with either FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football Association or UEFA (Union of European Football Associations); and is permitted to only play friendly matches against FIFA affiliated teams.
- Ernesto had scored 94 goals in a playing career that had spanned 360 matches.
- With RCD Espanyol, as a player, he had finished as a runner-up at the UEFA Cup in the 1987–88 season. 19 years later, in the 2006-07 season, this time as the club’s manager, he lost the tournament’s final again. In a cruel twist of fate, the club had lost both those matches in a penalty shootout.
- He had represented, mostly as a forward, Deportivo Alavés (1982–1985), Sestao Sport Club (1985–1986), RCD Espanyol (1986–1988), FC Barcelona (1988–1990), Athletic Bilbao (1990–1996), and RCD Mallorca (1996–1997).
- He had 2 stints at the helm of the Greek champions Olympiacos F.C. (2008-2009, 2010-2012) with whom he won the Superleague Greece title thrice (2008–09, 2010–11, 2011–12) and the Greek Football Cup twice (2008–09, 2011–12).
- When he led Athletic Bilbao to the Supercopa de España title in 2015, with a 5–1 aggregate defeat of FC Barcelona, it was the club’s first trophy in 31 years.
- For his managerial performance in the 2015-16 season, he was named the La Liga ‘Coach of the Year’.
Featured Image by Ernesto Valverde / Instagram
Facts of Ernesto Valverde
- full nameErnesto Valverde
- Date of Birth February 09, 1964
- Age 57 years 5 months
- Horoscope Aquarius
- Lucky Number 4
- Lucky Stone Amethyst
- Lucky Color Turquoise
- Best Match for Marriage Aquarius, Gemini, Sagittarius
- weight70 kg
- height5 ft 8 in