Eugene Lee Yang is an American filmmaker, actor, and social media personality who is well-known for his work with BuzzFeed from 2013 to 2018 and The Try Guys from where he began working in 2014. Shortly after coming out as gay, he has become an avid supporter of various human rights and LGBT advocacy charities.
He self-manages himself.
Boyfriend / Spouse
Eugene Lee Yang has dated –
- Matthew McLean (2019-Present)
- Thick Eyebrows
- Plump Lips
Eugene Lee Yang has endorsed brands such as House99.
Eugene Lee Yang Favorite Things
- Pets – Dogs
Eugene Lee Yang Facts
- When he was younger, he had body image issues and struggled with low self-esteem. He also suffered bullying due to his appearance, which made him even more doubtful of his worth and abilities.
- Before fame, he was first unsure of pursuing a career in the film industry as he doubted acquiring mainstream acceptance due to a lack of representation of Asian-American in most films.
- In school, he was a participative student and got himself engaged in various artistic activities including visual arts, illustration, theater, dance, and choir. His thought of giving filmmaking a try only came when a 7th-grade teacher suggested that he should consider studying filmmaking.
- During his time at the University of Southern California, he authored and directed 6 short films that flaunt out a wide variety of social and political topics such as mental health care, school shootings, and gay marriage.
- Before he rose to prominence, he had previously worked as a freelancer for producing music videos, writing, and filming commercials for 5 years.
- In 2013, Yang landed a job for the video brand of the internet media giant, BuzzFeed with the help of a colleague who recommended him after he realized Yang’s potential and competence in making short-format videos. There, some of his works were focused on stereotypes, body issues, and Asian-American identity.
- Yang was behind some of the most viewed videos on YouTube. He was the producer of the If Disney Princes Were Real which earned more than 70 million views and Women’s Ideal Body Types Throughout History which earned more than 40 million views.
- After receiving positive feedbacks from his early works, it opened more work opportunities and led him to create more provocative sketches such as The Try Guys which was established by BuzzFeed in 2014 alongside Ned Fulmer, Keith Habersberger, and Zach Kornfeld. He was dubbed as the breakout star of The Try Guys by The New York Times.
- In 2019, he made a guest appearance as Theo Lorql on NBC’s Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
- When closely working on any projects, he’s known as an advocate of equality, representation, and diversity.
- On March 17, 2017, Yang produced the Asian Men Re-Create Iconic Underwear Ads, taking a closer look at the theme of Asian men as s*xually inferior.
- On June 15, 2019, he explicitly admitted being gay after coming out as one in a music video.
- Yang received the Unforgettable 2015 “Male Breakout Star of the Year” on June 20, 2016, and, in October 2019, he was given the Human Rights Campaign’s Visibility Award.
Featured Image by Eugene Lee Yang / Instagram
Facts of Eugene Lee Yang
- Gender Male
- full nameEugene Lee Yang
- middle nameLee
- birthplacePflugerville, Texas, United States
- ethnicity / ethnic backgroundKorean
- net worth$1 Million
- professionActor, Producer, Director, Social Media Personality
- weight75kg or 165.5 lbs
- height6 ft or 183 cm
- hair colorBlack
- eye colorDark Brown
- body type / buildAthletic
- collegeUniversity of Southern California
- fatherJae Yang