Frank Oz is an American actor, puppeteer, director, and producer who has played Muppet characters of Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal, and Sam Eagle in The Muppet Show and Cookie Monster, Bert, and Grover in Sesame Street. He is also known for his roles in shows and movies such as The Blues Brothers, The Dark Crystal, Knives Out, Return of the Jedi, Labyrinth, Innocent Blood, Inside Out, and Monsters, Inc.
Frank Richard Oznowicz
Hereford, Herefordshire, England, United Kingdom
Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States
Frank Oz studied at Oakland Technical High School and Oakland City College.
Actor, Puppeteer, Director, Producer
- Father – Isidore Oznowicz (Puppeteer, Window Trimmer)
- Mother – Frances (née Ghevaert) (Puppeteer)
- Others – Samuel Oznowicz (Paternal Grandfather), Rebekka/Rebecca Bonettemaker (Paternal Grandmother), Omer Ghevaert (Maternal Grandfather), Maria Josephina Theresia Dierickx-Visschers (Maternal Grandmother), Michelle Oznowicz (Nephew) (Director, Writer), Jenny Oznowicz (Niece)
Frank Oz is represented by –
- Oz, Inc., Company, Orinda, Contra Costa County, California, United States
- Sesame Workshop, Production Company, New York City, New York, United States
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Frank Oz has dated –
- Robin Garsen (1979-2005) – He was previously married to Robin Garsen and they parent 4 children.
- Victoria Labalme (2011-Present)
Race / Ethnicity
Frank Oz is of Ashkenazi Jewish descent on his father’s side and has Belgian (Flemish) ancestry on his mother’s side.
- Wears glasses
- Sports a mustache
- Often works in comedies
Frank Oz has done endorsement work for Polaroid One-Step in 1981.
Frank Oz Facts
- His parents fought the Nazis with the Dutch Brigades and then shifted to England. Later, the family moved from England when Frank Oz was 6 months old and settled in Belgium for a few years. In 1951, the family moved to Montana, United States.
- During his teen years, Frank Oz used to work as an apprentice puppeteer at the amusement park named Children’s Fairyland with the Vagabond Puppets and Lettie Connell served as his mentor.
- He was inspired to pursue the path of direction after he watched the Orson Welles film Touch of Evil (1958) and once said, “I think it opened up my view of film — that there’s so much more that could be done. Actually, by breaking so many rules, he allowed other people to say, ‘Hey, I can maybe think of some stuff, too!’ He just opened up the possibilities more for me. That’s what he did.”
- Frank Oz served as the director for the 1986 horror comedy musical film, Little Shop of Horrors.
- He directed the Oscar-nominated comedy film, In & Out (1997), starring , , , and .
- He has done voiceover work for video games like The Muppet CDROM: Muppets Inside, Muppet Monster Adventure, and Muppet RaceMania.
Featured Image by Baltimore Sun / eBay / Public Domain
Facts of Frank Oz
- full nameFrank Oz
- Date of Birth May 25, 1944
- Age 77 years 7 months
- Horoscope Gemini
- Lucky Number 3
- Lucky Stone Agate
- Lucky Color Yellow
- Best Match for Marriage Leo, Aquarius, Libra
- weight76 kg
- height6 ft 2 in