Gary Owens was an American radio personality, announcer, disc jockey, voice actor, and actor who was best known for being the announcer on Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In, a sketch comedy television show. In addition to that, he also showcased his acting skills in films and shows such as Sesame Street, Barnaby Jones, Return from Witch Mountain, Simon & Simon, Sledge Hammer!, Night Court, Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, Dynomutt, Dog Wonder, Square One Television, The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!, Bobby’s World, 2 Stupid Dogs, and The New Batman Adventures.
Gary Bernard Altman
He was born on May 10, 1934.
On February 12, 2015, Gary Owens passed away at the age of 80 from complications due to Type 1 diabetes in Encino, California, United States.
Mitchell, Davidson County, South Dakota, United States
He attended high school in South Dakota and his history teacher was George McGovern, a politician, historian, U.S. representative, U.S. senator, and the Democratic Party presidential nominee in the 1972 presidential election.
Radio Personality, Announcer, Disc Jockey, Voice Actor, Actor
- Father – Bernard Joseph Altman (County Treasurer, Sheriff)
- Mother – Venetta (née Clark) (Educator, County Auditor)
Gary Owens was represented by Kazarian/Measures/Ruskin & Associates, Inc., Talent Agency, North Hollywood, California, United States.
6 ft 1 in or 185.5 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Gary Owens had dated –
- Arleta Markell (1968-2015) – He married Arleta Markell in 1968 and they were blessed with 2 sons – Christopher Dane Owens (b. October 9, 1963) and Scott Owens (b. April 23, 1960). The duo remained together until his death in 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
- Baritone voice
- Having hand cupped over the ear while talking into a microphone
Gary Owens Facts
- He was 8 years old when he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.
- His book, The (What to Do While You’re Holding the) Phone Book, was published in 1973.
- He served as the honorary sheriff of Encino, California.
- His trademark self-introduction was “This is Gary Owens, friend of those who want no friends, going places and losing things,” or occasionally, “Hello, and also hi; but not necessarily in that order”.
- In 1980, he received a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, between those of Walt Disney and , at 6743 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.
- Gary Owens also played an important role in helping the Stooges get a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and organized a campaign in 1983 for their fans and it received 15 thousand letters from fans who wanted it.
- He did voiceover work for video games like Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers, Space Quest 6: The Spinal Frontier, and Nickelodeon 3D Movie Maker.
- In 1994, he was inducted into the National Radio Hall of Fame.
- Owens coined the phrase “Beautiful downtown Burbank”.
Featured Image by Alan Light / / CC BY 2.0
Facts of Gary Owens
- full nameGary Owens
- Date of Birth May 10, 1934
- Age 87 years 6 months
- Horoscope Taurus
- Lucky Number 5
- Lucky Stone Emerald
- Lucky Color Green
- Best Match for Marriage Virgo, Cancer, Capricorn
- weight76 kg
- height6 ft 1 in