Gia Carangi was an American model who is considered to be the first supermodel in history. Her career spanned over the late 1970s and early 1980s during which she worked with several notable photographers including Von Wangenheim, Francesco Scavullo, Arthur Elgort, Richard Avedon, and Denis Piel and a number of popular fashion houses like Armani, André Laug, Christian Dior, , and Yves Saint Laurent.
Gia Marie Carangi
She was born on January 29, 1960.
On November 18, 1986, she died of AIDS-related complications in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States at the age of 26.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Gia Carangi studied at Abraham Lincoln High School located in the Mayfair section of Northeast Philadelphia.
- Father – Joseph Carangi (Restaurant Owner)
- Mother – Kathleen Carangi (née Adams) (Homemaker)
- Siblings – Michael Carangi (Older Brother), Joe Carangi (Older Brother)
- Others – Giovanni/John Carangi (Paternal Grandfather), Lucy Menichella (Paternal Grandmother), George R. Adams (Maternal Grandfather), Helen Virginia Ball (Maternal Grandmother)
Gia Carangi was represented by –
- Wilhelmina Models
- Ford Models
- Elite Model Management
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
Gia Carangi had dated –
- Chris von Wangenheim (1978)
- Sandy Linter (1978)
- Francesco Scavullo (1979)
- Mickey Rourke (1980)
- Elyssa Golden (1981-1983)
- Rob Fay (1983-1986)
Race / Ethnicity
Gia Carangi was of Italian descent on her father’s side and had English, Irish, and Welsh ancestry on her mother’s side.
- Unique poses
- Tomboy personality
Gia Carangi had done endorsement work for the likes of Armani, Bloomingdales, Body Basic, Diane Von Furstenberg, Christian Dior, Christian Dior Boutique, Citicorp, Cutex, Giorgio Armani, Lancetti, Levi’s, Maybelline, OdiveStudio 54, Perry Ellis, Sasson, Versace, Vidal, and Yves Saint Laurent.
Gia Carangi Facts
- Her parents had a tumultuous relationship which forced her mother to abandon the family when Gia was just 11 years old.
- Some people point out her “fractured childhood” as the reason for her unstable adulthood and drug abuse.
- Gia Carangi was a huge fan of .
- She was one of the favorite models of various established photographers.
- In 1993, a biography of Gia titled Thing of Beauty by Stephen Fried was published.
- Gia Carangi had also appeared on the covers of magazines such as Vogue and Cosmopolitan.
- She was portrayed by in her biopic titled Gia (1998).
- Gia shared a close bond with model Janice Dickinson.
- She enjoyed partying at New York’s Studio 54.
- Gia Carangi became the first famous woman to die of AIDS.
- She once said, “Life and death, energy and peace. If I stop today it was still worth it. Even the terrible mistakes that I made and would have unmade if I could. The pains that have burned me and scarred my soul, it was worth it, for having been allowed to walk where I’ve walked, which was to hell on earth, heaven on earth, back again, into, under, far in between, through it, and above”.
Facts of Gia Carangi
- full nameGia Carangi
- Date of Birth January 29, 1960
- Age 63 years 4 months
- Horoscope Aquarius
- Lucky Number 10
- Lucky Stone Amethyst
- Lucky Color Turquoise
- Best Match for Marriage Aquarius, Gemini, Sagittarius
- weight56 kg
- height5 ft 8 in