Giancarlo Esposito is an American actor, director, and producer who is best known for playing the character of Gustavo ‘Gus’ Fring in the popular crime drama TV series Breaking Bad (2009–2011) and its prequel/spin-off series Better Call Saul (2017–present). He is also well recognized for playing characters such as Mike Giardello in the police drama TV series Homicide: Life on the Street (1998–1999), Sidney Glass in the supernatural drama TV series Once Upon a Time (2011–2018), Dr. Edward Ruskins in the Netflix comedy-drama series Dear White People (2017–present), and Moff Gideon in the space-western drama streaming series The Mandalorian (2019–present). In April 2014, he was awarded a ‘Star’ on the ‘Hollywood Walk of Fame’.
Giancarlo Giuseppe Alessandro Esposito
New York City, New York, United States
Giancarlo, after his high school graduation, had attended the Elizabeth Seton College in New York. He had attained a 2-year degree in radio and television communications from there.
Actor, Director, Producer
- Father – Giovanni ‘John’ C. Esposito (Stagehand, Carpenter) (d. 2002)
- Mother – Elizabeth ‘Leesa’ Foster (Opera and Nightclub Singer) (d. 2017)
- Siblings – Vincent Esposito (Older Brother)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Giancarlo has dated –
- Joy McManigal (1994-2015) – Giancarlo began dating Joy McManigal in 1994 and they got married in 1995. They have 4 daughters together named Shayne Lyra Esposito (b. 1997), Kale Lyn Esposito (b. 1998), Syrlucia Esposito, and Ruby Esposito. The couple got divorced in 2015.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Black)
He is of Italian descent on his father’s side and African-American descent on his mother’s side.
- Mildly, stocky frame
- Affable smile
- Short-cropped, frizzy hair
- Often sports a rugged beard
Giancarlo Esposito Facts
- Giancarlo’s parents had met for the first time when his mother was performing on a tour of Porgy and Bess, an English-language opera show, in Naples. His father was working as a carpenter in Naples at that time.
- He was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, where his mother had taken up a gig in a nightclub, as a singer. When he was 6 years old, his family had moved to Manhattan, New York.
- For his portrayal of Gustavo ‘Gus’ Fring in Better Call Saul, he was nominated for the ‘Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series’ award at the Primetime Emmy Awards in both 2019 and 2020.
- For the same character in Breaking Bad, he had won the ‘Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series’ award at the 2012 Critics’ Choice Television Awards. He was also nominated in a similar category at the 2011 NAACP Image Awards, the 2012 Primetime Emmy Awards, the 2012 Satellite Awards, and the 2012 Saturn Awards.
- Other than conventional acting, he has lent his voice to characters such as Ra’s al Ghul in the animated superhero film Son of Batman (2014), Black Spider in the animated superhero film Batman: Assault on Arkham (2014), Akela in the fantasy adventure film The Jungle Book (2016), Victor Goldsmith in the adult animation comedy web TV series Dallas & Robo (2018), and Lex Luthor in the adult animated TV series Harley Quinn (2019–2020).
- Apart from English, he is fluent in both Italian and Spanish.
Featured Image by Giancarlo Esposito / Instagram
Facts of Giancarlo Esposito
- full nameGiancarlo Esposito
- Date of Birth April 26, 1958
- Age 63 years 7 months
- Horoscope Taurus
- Lucky Number 8
- Lucky Stone Emerald
- Lucky Color Green
- Best Match for Marriage Virgo, Cancer, Capricorn
- weight75 kg
- height5 ft 8 in