Grace Potter is an American singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and actress who is known for being the lead vocalist of the Vermont based rock band, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. In 2002, she co-founded the band along with drummer Matt Burr and guitarist Scott Tournet, both of whom have left the band. The band, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, has released a number of albums and singles which include the likes of Nothing But the Water, This Is Somewhere, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, and The Lion the Beast the Beat. She has also flourished as a solo artist and has released albums such as Original Soul and Midnight. Grace Potter has often collaborated with musician Kenny Chesney and has worked alongside him on songs such as You and Tequila and Wild Child. Growing up, she started her musical pursuits at a very young age and began taking piano lessons from her mother. She has also appeared on a number of shows such as Jump Start Live, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Big Evening Buzz with Carrie Keagan, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Last Call with Carson Daly, The Chew, and Conan. Moreover, Grace Potter has also amassed a huge social media fan base with more than 200k followers on Instagram, more than 400k followers on Facebook, more than 150k followers on Twitter, and more than 100k subscribers on YouTube.
Waitsfield, Washington County, Vermont, United States
Grace Potter studied at the Harwood Union High School located in Moretown, Vermont. Later, she went to St. Lawrence University located in New York, United States and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in theatre.
Grace Potter is managed by Jason Colton, Kevin Morris, and Nate Erwin/Red Light Management.
Roots Rock, Blues-Rock, Hard Rock, Folk Rock, Pop
Vocals, Keyboards, Guitar, Piano
As a member of the rock band Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, she has been signed by Hollywood Records, Inc.
Boyfriend / Spouse
Grace Potter has dated –
- Matt Burr – Grace Potter met drummer Matt Burr when they both attended St. Lawrence University. Matt was her senior and soon after, the duo started going out. As both of them took great interest in music, they founded the rock band from Vermont named Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, along with guitarist Scott Tournet in 2002. After dating for some time, Grace and Matt decided to tie the knot and got married on May 11, 2013, in the Caribbean. The news of their marriage became public only in November 2013 through a label report as the duo had previously been tight-lipped about the entire thing. However, after being married for a while, things did not work out for them and they decided to part ways for good and, hence, got divorced afterward.
- Eric Valentine – Grace Potter is in a relationship with record producer Eric Dodd a.k.a. Eric Valentine. The couple has been together for quite a while and can often be seen together on several occasions. Moreover, they are engaged and on January 12, 2018, they were blessed with their first child together, a boy named Sagan Potter Valentine.
- Often sports forehead bangs
- Distinct voice
- A mole over her lips
- Wide smile
Grace Potter’s song, Be Fearless, was used in a DiRT 4 TV commercial in 2017.
Best Known For
- Being the lead vocalist as well as the co-founder of the rock band Grace Potter and the Nocturnals alongside drummer Matt Burr and guitarist Scott Tournet. The band has released a number of albums such as Nothing But the Water, This Is Somewhere, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, and The Lion the Beast the Beat and the band’s name indicates the late practicing hours of its members.
- Her 4th studio album, The Lion the Beast the Beat, with Grace Potter and the Nocturnals which was released on June 12, 2012, via Hollywood Records, Inc. and included songs such as The Lion The Beast The Beat, Never Go Back, Parachute Heart, Stars, Loneliest Soul, and One Heart Missing. The album has been ranked at number #17 in US Billboard 200 chart, at number #7 in the US Top Rock Albums (Billboard) chart, and at number #2 in the US Top Tastemaker Albums (Billboard) chart.
- Her career as a solo artist as she has released a couple of albums which include Original Soul and Midnight
As a member of Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, Grace Potter released her debut studio album, Nothing But the Water, on May 10, 2005. The album was initially released independently and was later re-released via Hollywood Records, Inc. It included several tracks such as Toothbrush and My Table, Some Kind of Ride, Ragged Company, Treat Me Right, Below the Beams, All But One, Nothing But the Water (I), and Nothing But the Water (II).
As a solo artist, Grace Potter released her debut album, Original Soul, on May 5, 2004, and it included songs such as At Your Request, Go Down Low, I Chose You, Hidden Superstition, Somebody Fix Me, Bull in a China Shop, Kissing in a Tree, and No Good, Mean Old, Lowdown Lover Man.
First TV Show
Grace Potter made her first TV show appearance as Herself/Musical Guest in an episode of the late-night comedy music talk show series, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, in August 2007.
Grace Potter stays healthy by leading an active lifestyle.
Grace Potter Favorite Things
- Book – Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan
Grace Potter Facts
- As her mother has been a piano teacher, it somewhat initiated Grace’s pursuits in music as she started taking piano lessons from her mother at a very early age.
- She was raised in Vermont, United States and during her high school years, she started singing in choirs.
- In October 2008, Grace Potter was cast as Grace in an episode, titled Messin’ with the Kid, of the TV sports romantic drama series, One Tree Hill.
- She has appeared in a number of other shows such as Jump Start Live, Lopez Tonight, Live from the Artists Den, Chelsea Lately, Live!, Big Morning Buzz Live, Big Evening Buzz with , Late Night with , Last Call with , The Chew, Greatest Hits, and .
- She has performed several songs on shows such as One Tree Hill, Brothers & Sisters, and Grey’s Anatomy.
- Grace Potter wrote and performed the song, Something That I Want, for the Disney 3D computer-animated musical adventure film, Tangled (2010).
- She has been nominated for a Grammy Award in the “Best Country Duo /Group Performance” category alongside country music singer, songwriter, and record producer, , for the single titled You And Tequila.
- Her 2nd album as a solo artist, Midnight (2015), has been inspired by the likes of Miles Davis, , The Beatles, , Blondie, and Beck Hansen. Regarding the evolution of album, Grace Potter has stated that “I had been messing around for a few weeks with making really whacked-out home demos – lots of sounds, beats, and melodies that I had never tried before. It was a dark, stormy, moody day and I could hear the thunder in the distance – these big ominous clouds were rolling in fast. There was something about that threat of inclement weather beyond my control that just made me vibrate with anticipation and adrenaline, so I channeled it into this heavy boogie song—it goes right for the throat and says ‘Own your existence on earth, because who knows what’s gonna happen next.’ That solitary moment guided everything that followed.”
- Her paternal grandfather suffered from Alzheimer’s disease and, hence, in his honor, she has been a supporter of the Alzheimer’s Association which is a non-profit health organization which focuses on care, support, and research for Alzheimer’s disease. She has also participated in the “Night At Sardi’s” annual fundraiser in Los Angeles, California.
- In 2005, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals was nominated at the Boston Music Awards both in the “Best Local Female Artist” as well as the “Best New Local Act” category. Later, in 2006, the band won the Jammy Award in the “Best New Groove” category.
- Over the course of her career, Grace Potter has worked with several artists such as , The Flaming Lips, and Gregory Douglass.
- Grand Point North music festival is a festival founded by Grace Potter and Higher Ground in Burlington, Vermont which celebrates local acts by providing them with a significant platform to showcase their skills and promotes area businesses every year.
- She counts artists such as , , and as her musical inspirations.
- Before her musical career kickstarted, Grace Potter did several odd jobs such as babysitting, dishwashing, house painting, and sandwich making and has also worked as a general contractor and theatre director.
- Visit her official website @ gracepotter.com.
- Follow Grace Potter on , , , , and .
Featured Image by NASA/Aubrey Gemignani / Flickr / Public Domain
Facts of Grace Evelyn Potter
- Gender Female
- full nameGrace Evelyn Potter
- middle nameEvelyn
- birthplaceWaitsfield, Washington County, Vermont, United States
- Date of Birth June 20, 1983
- Age 40 years 8 months
- Horoscope Gemini
- Lucky Number 11
- Lucky Stone Agate
- Lucky Color Yellow
- Best Match for Marriage Leo, Aquarius, Libra
- ethnicity / ethnic backgroundDutch, English, French, Irish, German, Scots-Irish (Northern Irish), Scottish, Swiss-German, Welsh, as well as distant Belgian (Walloon), Cornish, Danish, Mohawk Native American, Norwegian, and Swedish
- net worth$100,000 - $1Million
- professionSinger, Songwriter, Multi-Instrumentalist, Actress
- weight60 kg or 132 lbs
- height5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
- eye colorDark Brown
- body type / buildSlim
- high schoolHarwood Union High School
- collegeSt. Lawrence University
- motherMargaret Ellen
- fatherRichard Lynn Potter
- sistersCharlotte Potter
- favorite booksPale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan