Ian McDiarmid is a successful Scottish actor and director. He is best known for his roles as Emperor Palpatine, Senator Palpatine, and Supreme Chancellor Palpatine in the Star Wars film series. He has also done numerous stage plays including several Shakespeare plays like Hamlet (1972), The Tempest (1974, 2000), The Merchant of Venice (1984), and King Lear (2005), Tom Stoppard’s play Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (1978), and Brian Friel’s Faith Healer (2002).
Carnoustie, Scotland, United Kingdom
- London, England, United Kingdom
- New York City, New York, United States
- Carnoustie, Scotland, United Kingdom
Ian McDiarmid has an M.A. degree in Clinical Psychology from Queen’s College, Dundee (now the University of Dundee). Later, he attended the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama in Glasgow and did acting training courses.
Ian McDiarmid is managed by Troika, Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
70 kg or 154.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Narrow jawline
- Wears thick-rimmed glasses
He is an atheist.
Ian McDiarmid Favorite Things
- Art Gallery – The Tate at St Ives
Ian McDiarmid Facts
- He has served as Artistic Director of London’s Almeida Theatre in the past.
- He had played both the older disfigured role of Emperor Palpatine in Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi (1983) and his younger version in the Star Wars prequels much later.
- It almost equally took 2 hours each to do his make-up as well as to remove it during the making of the Star Wars: Episode III – Revenge of the Sith (2005) film.
- He is known to be the first actor to both physically play a Sith Lord and provide the voice in the Star Wars films.
- He had shared a good friendly relationship with fellow Star Wars cast member Sebastian Shaw.
- The thing that got him interested in acting was meeting Scottish variety star Tommy Morgan at the Palace theatre in Dundee at the age of 5.
- According to him, the soundtrack to his life would be You Make Me Feel Brand New by the Stylistics.
- He feels most at home on the stage than on screen.
- He admires great theatrical innovators like Peter Stein, Patrice Chéreau, and Robert LePage, painter Neil Canning and choreographer Mark Morris.
- An art piece he would want to own is any triptych by Francis Bacon.
- He refrains from signing autographs and public appearances for money.
- His first role was that of a tramp for the animated version of Waltzing Matilda at a school play in Dundee.
Featured Image by Star Wars Theory / YouTube
Facts of Ian McDiarmid
- full nameIan McDiarmid
- Date of Birth August 11, 1944
- Age 77 years 5 months
- Horoscope Leo
- Lucky Number 10
- Lucky Stone Ruby
- Lucky Color Gold
- Best Match for Marriage Sagittarius, Gemini, Aries
- weight70 kg
- height5 ft 10 in