Iggy Pop is an American singer, songwriter, musician, record producer, as well as an actor who is widely known as the “Godfather of Punk”, who had come to limelight as the vocalist and lyricist of one of the most influential protopunk bands of all time The Stooges, who were formed in Michigan in 1967 and have disbanded and reunited several times ever since. He also had a prosperous solo career having released a number of albums like Brick by Brick (1990) and having been conferred numerous awards and honors including the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in January 2020.
James Newell Osterberg Jr.
The Iguana, The Godfather of Punk, Jimmy, Iggy Pop
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Miami, Florida, United States
He attended Ann Arbor Pioneer High School in Ann Arbor in Michigan.
Singer, Songwriter, Musician, Lyricist, Record Producer, Actor
- Father – James Newell Osterberg Sr. (Former high school English teacher & Baseball coach at Fordson High School in Dearborn, Michigan)
- Mother – Louella née Christensen
He is represented by –
- Dawbell, Ltd.
- Central European Organisation
Vocals, Guitar, Drums, Piano
- Caroline International
- Loma Vista
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
66 kg or 145.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
He has dated –
- Wendy Weissberg (1968-1969) – He married Wendy Weissberg in 1968. The marriage was annulled on November 25, 1969.
- Paulette Benson – He had a relationship with Paulette Benson. They had a son named Eric Benson (b. 1970).
- Suchi Asano (1984-1999) – He tied the knot with Suchi Asano in 1984. They got divorced in 1999.
- – Rumor
- Irina Brook – He had a relationship with actress and theatre director Irina Brook.
- Nina Alu (2008-Present) – He married his longtime partner Nina Alu on November 22, 2008.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of English and Irish descent on his father’s side and of Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish descent on his mother’s side.
He often tends to dye his hair in different shades.
- Defined jawline
- Sharp nose
Iggy Pop Favorite Things
- Pet – He has a pet cockatoo named Biggy Pop
- Passion – Looking at other people’s paintings, having stated that he can spend more time looking at art and enjoy himself a lot more than he would from watching TV or listening to music
Iggy Pop Facts
- He had attended a high-end school with children of wealth and distinction for his classmates. However, he has stated that he had a wealth that was far more precious than everyone else’s, that was the unconditional love, care, and support of his parents. They had helped him explore anything he was interested in, resulting in their evacuation from the master bedroom just in order to provide him a room big enough for his drum kit.
- Pop kickstarted his music career as a drummer in several high school bands in Ann Arbor including the Iguanas who released several records like Bo Diddley’s Mona in 1965, his later stage name, Iggy, being derived from that group.
- He has frequently performed shirtless.
- The character “Funboy” in the original superhero film The Crow (1994) was modeled after him, and he was even supposed to be cast as “Funboy”. However, his busy scheduling made it impossible for him to be in the movie and he instead starred as “Curve” in its sequel titled The Crow: City of Angels (1996).
- Pop has played guitar left-handed.
Featured Image by Raph_PH / / CC BY 2.0
Facts of Iggy Pop
- full nameIggy Pop
- Date of Birth April 21, 1947
- Age 74 years 7 months
- Horoscope Taurus
- Lucky Number 10
- Lucky Stone Emerald
- Lucky Color Green
- Best Match for Marriage Virgo, Cancer, Capricorn
- weight66 kg
- height5 ft 6 in