Jang Dong-gun is a South Korean actor whose career in the entertainment industry began in 1992. He started from a talent contest which gained him some fame. He then moved on to television dramas such as Il Ji Mae and The Last Match. Jang is known for his brilliant acting performance, even in films. His performance in his movie debut Repechage (1997) alongside Kim Hee-sun, helped boost his fame. By 1990s, he had gathered lots of fans, even outside Korea, thus making him among the 1st Korean artist to earn this kind of recognition. The movie Friend which was released in 2001 smashed the box office record and became the biggest Korean movie at the time, which helped push his fame further upwards.
He is also widely known for his role in the film Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War (2004) which became widely known throughout Asia, with over 11 million tickets sold. Jang has also played roles in television series such as Icing (1996), Medical Brothers (1996), Myth of a Hero (1997), Ghost (1999), A Gentleman’s Dignity (2012), and Suits (2018). He has been nominated for, and won several awards including the “Star (Movie)” award in the Korean Entertainment Industry Society, and “Best Actor” award in the 2018 Korea Best Star Awards for his role in Seven Years of Night.
Yongsan District, Seoul, South Korea
Jamwondong, Seocho District, Seoul, South Korea
Jang Dong-gun attended Korea National University of Arts in Seokgwandong, Seongbuk-gu, Seoul, South Korea.
Jang Dong-gun is managed by S.M. Culture & Content (Entertainment, Production and Travel Company), Seoul, South Korea.
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jang Dong-gun has dated –
- Ko So-young (2010-Present) – Jang Dong-gun and Ko So-young met each other in Los Angeles and began dating. They got married on May 2, 2010. They met on the set of a film Love Wind Love Song (1999). The couple released news about their relationship in 2009 and had a glamorous wedding which was filled with many stars in the industry. They have two children together.
- Well-trimmed hair
- Little facial hairs
- Defined jawline
Jang Dong-gun has endorsed brands like –
- Lexus New Generation ES
- LG Electronics
- Nintendo DS
- Hite Beer Max
- Samsung camera
- KTF Worldphone
- LG Telecom
- POSCO E&C
- FaPai Group
Best Known For
- Playing the leading role of Iljimae in the television series Il Ji Mae (1993)
- Portraying the role of Lee Han Song-su in the 2001 movie Friend which gained lots of attention from various individuals all over South Korea
- His brilliant acting as Lee Jin-tae in the movie Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War (2004) which climbed to the top of the ranks as one of the best movies at the time
Jang Dong-gun made his feature film debut as Min-gyu in the movie Paejabuhwaljeon (Repechage) in 1997.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut in 1992 on the television show Our Heaven.
Jang Dong-gun’s personal trainer is not known as he hasn’t divulged information about his workout plans and schedules. However, from his well-toned body and great physique, we can conclude that he has a healthy diet and probably does light workouts in the comfort of his home.
Jang Dong-gun Favorite Things
- Sport – Baseball
Jang Dong-gun Facts
- He has been a practitioner of Buddhism since his childhood when he began reading about it while undergoing chest surgery in high school.
- He is a member of a baseball team of popular Korean stars including Lee Jong-hyuk, Hyun Bin, Kim Seung-woo, Hwang Jung-min, Ji Jin-hee, and several others, collectively known as the ‘Playboys’.
- In the same year, he made his big screen debut, he went to work on another movie Holiday in Seoul.
- He attended the Korea National University of Arts but didn’t wait long enough to obtain his degree.
- Jang had to learn 2 different languages in order to play some roles in movies. He learned Japanese for his role in the 2009 movie Lost Memories and learned Mandarin for The Promise.
- His performance in the year 2000 movie titled Anarchists made him a Korean star and led to his breakthrough role in the movie Friend.
- Several movies which he has acted in have become box office hits upon release. 2009 Lost Memories released in 2002 is one of such movies.
- He waited for years before revealing information about his relationship with Ko So-young to his fans. Speculations about it had been denied by the couple since they played a role together in the movie Love Wind Love Song (1999).
- His role in Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War took his fame outside Korea and into the vast Asian continent, earning him more praise.
- He starred in The Promise in 2005 which was made with a production budget of $15 million, surpassing the record put in place by previous movies.
- He acted alongside and in The Warrior’s Way (2010).
- Jang played the role of a hitman in the 2014 thriller No Tears for the Dead.
- He was honored with Top Excellence Award for his performance in A Gentleman’s Dignity.
- He and his wife waited for years after having their son, before giving birth to another child who was already old enough to appreciate the presence of a younger sister.
- His wedding was attended by A-list celebrities, reporters, and fans.
- He isn’t active on social media.
Featured Image by LG Electronics / Flickr / CC BY 2.0
Facts of Jang Dong-gun
- Gender Male
- full nameJang Dong-gun
- nicknamesChan Don-Gon, Jang Dong Geon
- birthplaceYongsan District, Seoul, South Korea
- Date of Birth March 07, 1972
- Age 51 years 6 months
- Horoscope Pisces
- Lucky Number 11
- Lucky Stone Aquamarine
- Lucky Color Sea Green
- Best Match for Marriage Cancer, Scorpio
- ethnicity / ethnic backgroundSouth Korean
- nationalitySouth Korean
- net worth$15 million
- weight68 kg or 150 lbs
- height5 ft 11¼ in or 181 cm
- hair colorBlack
- eye colorDark Brown
- body type / buildAthletic
- collegeNational University
- motherLee Sook
- fatherJang Se-yong