Joan Rivers was an American comedian, actress, writer, producer, and television host who rose to fame after appearing as a guest on The Tonight Show in 1965. Known for her gig as a comedian, she was described as “quite possibly the most intuitively funny woman alive” by Jack Gould, a The New York Times television critic, in 1968 and was also included in the “50 Best Stand-up Comics of all Time” list issued by the Rolling Stone magazine in 2017.
Joan Alexandra Molinsky
The Queen of the Barbed One-liners
She was born on June 8, 1933.
At the age of 81, she passed away on September 4, 2014, in Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States due to brain damage which was caused by a lack of oxygen.
Ashes scattered in Wyoming, United States
Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
She resided in New York City, New York, United States.
Joan Rivers studied at Brooklyn Ethical Culture School and Adelphi Academy of Brooklyn. Then, she attended Connecticut College from 1950 to 1952 before graduating with a B.A. in English Literature and Anthropology from Barnard College in 1955.
Comedian, Actress, Writer, Producer, Television Host
- Father – Meyer C. Molinsky
- Mother – Beatrice (née Grushman)
- Sibling – Barbara Waxler (Older Sister)
Observational Comedy, Insult Comedy, Shock Comedy, Black Comedy, Blue Comedy, Improvisational Comedy
Stand-up, Film, Television, Theatre, Literature
5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Joan Rivers had dated –
- Robert Mitchum
- Johnny Carson
- James Sanger (1955) – She married James Sanger, the son of a Bond Clothing Stores merchandise manager, in the year 1955 but the marriage got annulled 6 months later on the basis that Sanger did not want children and had not informed Rivers before the wedding.
- Edgar Rosenberg (1965-1987) – On July 15, 1965, she got married to German-born British film and television producer Edgar Rosenberg and they were blessed with a daughter named on January 20, 1968. However, he committed suicide in 1987, four days after she asked him for a separation.
- Gabriel Dell (1971)
- Brian Wilson (1984-1985)
- Owen Lehman (1994)
- Norman Zada (2009)
Race / Ethnicity
She was of Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
- Dark sense of humor
- Petite stature
- Loud, raspy voice with New York City accent
Joan Rivers Facts
- Her parents were Russian-Jewish immigrants.
- She also appeared as an actress in movies like Iron Man 3, The Muppets Take Manhattan, The Intern, and The Hipsters.
- Joan Rivers’s 1983 comedy album, What Becomes a Semi-Legend Most?, was nominated for a Grammy Award for “Best Comedy Album”.
- She attended the funeral of actor while her own funeral was attended by the likes of , , , , , , , and .
Featured Image by PA3 Mike Hvozda / U.S. Federal Government / Public Domain
Facts of Joan Rivers
- full nameJoan Rivers
- Date of Birth June 08, 1933
- Age 88 years 5 months
- Horoscope Gemini
- Lucky Number 3
- Lucky Stone Agate
- Lucky Color Yellow
- Best Match for Marriage Leo, Aquarius, Libra
- weight58 kg
- height5 ft 2 in