Kali Uchis started making early waves in her burgeoning music career by grabbing the attention of established stars such as Diplo and Snoop Dogg. Since then, she has made a quick ascent to become one of the most hyped music stars. She has won Grammy nominations. She has earned slots at the Coachella Music Festival. She has served as a supporting act for on her music tour. Kali has also been hailed as a fashion and youth icon.
She has shifted her base to Los Angeles, California so as to improve her productivity. Back in Virginia, she had to plan everything months in advance but in Los Angeles, she can get work done in a single go.
Kali Uchis started her school education at the elementary school in her native Colombia. In the third grade, she shifted her school as her family moved to the US. Later, she completed her high school education from T. C. Williams High School.
- Father – Her father is a businessman.
- Siblings – Her brother is a professional skater. He has done skating for Adidas.
Kali Uchis is represented by William Morris Endeavor.
R&B, Neo Soul, Pop
Vocals, Saxophone, Piano
Virgin EMI, Interscope Records
- Unique and Quirky Dressing Style
- Mole mark on the right cheek (just below the eye)
In her with Noisey, Kali Uchis revealed that she believes spirituality is important. She believes in the Universe and higher being but she doesn’t necessarily believe in a white man with a beard (which is a subtle nod to Jesus Christ).
Best Known For
- Having worked with some of the popular hip-hop music artists such as , , , Gorillaz, and Bootsy Collins.
- Her booming popularity on various social media platforms such as Instagram, on which she already has over 1 million followers.
- Her unique style sense for which she combines elements of 60s-chic/90s-urban style. Because of her quirky style, she has been featured in the popular magazines such as Vogue, Billboard, and Fader.
In April 2018, she released her debut studio album, Isolation, which was highly acclaimed by the music critics with NME giving her 5 stars in their review.
First TV Show
In 2017, Kali Uchis made her first TV show appearance in the comedy talk show, The Tonight Show Starring .
Kali Uchis Favorite Things
- Person To Work With – Tyler, The Creator
- Influences – Ella Fitzgerald, Loose Ends, Curtis Mayfield, Ralfi Pagan, Irma Thomas and Billie Holiday
Source – ,
Kali Uchis Facts
- At the age of 17, she was living in her old Subaru Forester, which she used to park in the parking lots at the night to sleep in. She had clashed with her father over his objection to her partying and staying out till late at night. Also, her parents wanted her to go to college, which she was fiercely against.
- Just in her second week out of her home, her father started calling her and apologized to her. It would be months before they would make amends.
- It was while living in Subaru, she turned to poetry for some solace. She also started writing song lyrics.
- While studying in high school, she used to miss most of her classes so that she could spend hours at the photo lab. She also started making short films.
- She used to work at the whole foods while studying in high school for the financial support. She also used to sell clothes to make ends meet.
- In her early childhood, Kali and her family made several trips from the United States to Colombia and in the opposite direction. Her parents wanted to live in Colombia but were unnerved by the bloody guerrilla warfare.
- Initially, she wasn’t interested in singing. She was more interested in becoming a director and staying out of the spotlight.
- Although her parents accepted her career choice once they saw her supporting herself with her music. There were older members of her family especially in Colombia, who couldn’t comprehend that she was earning money from music and started murmuring rumors about her working as an escort.
- Her family eventually accepted that she was a star when they saw her collaborating with Juanes, who is a widely popular Colombian singer.
- She released her first mixtape, Drunken Babble, immediately after completing her high school education.
- She got her first big breakthrough after the music video of her song What They Say was liked by Snoop Dogg on Twitter. He also asked her to work with him for the single, On Edge.
- She has got her father’s passport signature tattooed on her bicep. It was the signature he had used when he first came to the US.
- While studying in high school, she used to play saxophone in the jazz band.
- She has revealed in her interviews that Kali Uchis name was given to her by her father.
- Visit her official website @ kaliuchis.com.
- Follow her on , , , , and .
Featured Image by Alice.Umusic / / CC BY-SA 4.0
Facts of Karly-Marina Loaiza
- Gender Female
- full nameKarly-Marina Loaiza
- middle nameKali Uchis
- nicknamesKali Uchis
- Date of Birth July 17, 1993
- Age 30 years 7 months
- Horoscope Cancer
- Lucky Number 10
- Lucky Stone Moonstone
- Lucky Color Silver
- Best Match for Marriage Taurus, Pisces, Scorpio
- ethnicity / ethnic backgroundHispanic
- net worth$5 million
- professionSinger, Songwriter, Music Video Director
- weight55 kg or 121 lbs
- height5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
- hair colorDark Brown
- eye colorLight Brown
- body type / buildSlim
- high schoolT. C. Williams High School