Mobile, Alabama, United States
Laverne Cox graduated from Alabama School of Fine Arts in Birmingham, Alabama and studied creative writing and later dance.
The actress also studied at the Indiana University Bloomington for two years and then attended acting classes at the Marymount Manhattan College in New York City.
Actress, Reality Television Star, Television Producer, Activist
- Mother – Gloria Cox (Writer)
- Siblings – M Lamar (Twin Brother) (Musician & Artist)
Hartig Hilepo Agency Ltd.
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
76 kg or 167½ lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Laverne Cox has revealed that she was a man for eight years, but she did not name him. She said that the man, in mid-2015, got engaged to someone else. She then dated –
- Kyle Draper (2017-2019) – The actress started dating Kyle Draper, the CEO of the record label Mateo Sound in the summer of 2017 but called it quits almost after 2 years.
Race / Ethnicity
She has naturally ‘Dark Brown’ hair, but she dyes them blonde.
Laverne transformed herself into a woman. She likes men.
- Sense of Humor
- Big lips
- Modest personality
36-29-35 in or 91.5-74-89 cm
Check this picture of her footwear, which she shared on in May 2014.
She does not believe in any particular religion but believes just in God.
Best Known For
Laverne Cox is best known for her much-talked Netflix television series Orange Is The New Black (2013-Present), in which she portrays the character of Sophia Burset.
The talented actress is also famous for being a contestant on the season one of VH1’s series I Want to Work for Diddy (2008) and being the co-host of another TV series from the same network called TRANSform Me (2010). Some of her other appreciated works include Law and Order: SVU (1999-Present), Bored to Death (2009-2011) and Musical Chairs (2012).
She debuted in the movies in 2000 in the short film Betty Anderson, playing the character of Deirdre.
First TV Show
Her first stint with television was in 2008. She appeared in Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as Candace in the episode titled “Closet.”
The transgender woman has an hourglass figure. She says that as she does not get too much time for working out, she prefers staying in shape with the help of cardio exercises.
Laverne Cox Favorite Things
- Personality –
- Pastime – Dancing, and karaoke singing
Source – ,
Laverne Cox Facts
- Laverne was among Out Magazine’s 100 most influential transgender, gay, lesbian, or bisexual people in 2013.
- She created history by becoming the first openly transgender person to be on the cover of TIME Magazine on June 9, 2014. Katy Steinmetz interviewed Cox for the cover story titled “The Transgender Tipping Point.”
- Even after Laverne started working on her famous series Orange Is the New Black, she continued working as a drag queen in a restaurant.
- The actress was on the cover of the October 2014 issue of Essence Magazine. The other actresses who shared the cover with her were , , and .
- She also created history by becoming the first openly transgender person to receive an Emmy nomination. She was nominated for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for her commendable performance in Orange Is the New Black during the 2014 Primetime Emmy Awards.
- GLAAD honored her with the Stephen F Kolzak Award in April 2014 for being an open supporter of the transgender community.
- The character of Cameron Wirth that she played in the TV movie Doubt (2015) was made keeping in mind a transgender actress.
- A documentary titled Laverne Cox Presents: The T Word, for which the actress was an executive producer and narrator, was premiered in October 2014 on MTV and Logo at the same time.
- In 2015, Cox became the first transgender woman to pose nude for a magazine after she posed in Allure.
- The phenomenal woman was a special invitee at the TIME and PEOPLE’s annual cocktail party on White House Correspondents’ Weekend at St Regis Hotel in Washington, D.C., on April 24, 2015.
- She is among the OUT Power 50 List of 2015 and has also made it to the People Magazine’s World’s Most Beautiful Women list in the same year. She was also among the 100 Most Influential people of TIME Magazine in 2015. Laverne has made it to the list of 31 Icons of LGBT History Month by Equality Forum.
- A San Francisco based ice-cream store called Three Twins named their chocolate orange confetti ice-cream after the actress as Laverne Cox’s Chocolate Orange Is the New Black at Pride weekend.
- She also made it to the cover of the June 2015 issue of Entertainment Weekly titled ‘totally not-straight.’ This was the magazine’s first issue that focused on gay, lesbian, and transgender entertainment.
- Laverne inaugurated her Madame Tussauds wax statue on June 26, 2015, and became the first openly transgender person to be featured in the museum.
- In November 2020, Laverne and one of her friends were targeted in a transphobic attack when a man came up to her friend and asked her “Guy or girl?”. He even started hitting her friend. Fortunately, they weren’t physically injured.
Facts of Laverne Cox
- full nameLaverne Cox
- Date of Birth May 29, 1984
- Age 39 years 0 months
- Horoscope Gemini
- Lucky Number 11
- Lucky Stone Agate
- Lucky Color Yellow
- Best Match for Marriage Leo, Aquarius, Libra
- weight76 kg
- height5 ft 11 in