Linda Purl is an American actress and singer who is most well recognized for portraying characters such as Betsy Bullock in the drama TV series Beacon Hill (1975), Ashley Pfister in the sitcom Happy Days (1982-1983), and Charlene Matlock in the mystery legal drama TV series Matlock (1986-1987).
Greenwich, Fairfield County, Connecticut, United States
New York City, New York, United States
Linda, after her family had moved to Japan in her childhood, had trained in acting at the Toho Geino Academy. Upon returning to the United States, she had attended the Wykeham Rise School, a private boarding school for girls, specializing in creative and performing arts, in Washington, Connecticut.
She had attended the Finch College in Manhattan, New York City, before leaving for England to study acting. After her stint in England, she had further honed her acting skills at the renowned Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute in New York.
- Father – Raymond Charles Arthur Purl (Chemical Industry Executive) (d. 2015)
- Mother – Marshelline ‘Marshie’ Purl (Actress)
- Siblings – Mara Purl (Sister)
- Others – Beatrice Saville (Paternal Grandmother) (Founder of the Actors’ Equity Association), Elizabeth Broyles (née Bills) (Ex-Mother-in-Law), William Dodson Broyles (Ex-Father-in-Law), Alice Elizabeth Broyles (Ex-Sister-in-Law), David Broyles (Ex-Stepson) (Film Editor), Lucinda Mary Cary (Ex-Sister-in-Law), Camilla Anne Cary (Ex-Sister-in-Law), Charles Byron Milburn Cary (Ex-Brother-in-Law), Samantha Camilla Cary (Ex-Sister-in-Law), Lucius Cary (Ex-Father-in-Law) (15th Viscount of Falkland), Caroline Anne Butler (Ex-Mother-in-Law), Sebastian Cary (Ex-Stepson), Lucille Ball (Ex-Mother-in-Law) (Actress, Comedian, Producer, Model) (d. 1989), Desi Arnaz (Ex-Father-in-Law) (Actor, Comedian, Producer, Musician) (d. 1986), Lucie Arnaz (Ex-Sister-in-Law) (Actress, Singer, Producer), Julia Arnaz (Ex-Step-Daughter)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
58 kg or 128 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Linda has dated –
- Bryan Englund
- Simon MacCorkindale
- Desi Arnaz Jr. (1979–1981) – Linda had started dating actor and musician Desi Arnaz Jr. in 1979 and the couple got married on January 13, 1980. They had parted ways in December 1981.
- William Broyles Jr. (1987–1992) – She began dating screenwriter William Broyles Jr. in 1987 and the couple got married on November 5, 1988. They got divorced in 1992.
- Alexander Cary (1992–1999) – Linda had started dating British screenwriter, producer, and ex-soldier Alexander Cary in 1992. They got married on July 23, 1993, and have a son together named Lucius (b. February 6, 1995) (Actor).
- James Vinson Adams (2005–2011) – She began dating James Vinson Adams in 2005 and the couple got married on July 15, 2006. They got divorced in 2011.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of American descent.
- Petite frame
- Gleaming face
- Charming smile
- Shoulder-length, wavy hair
Linda Purl Facts
- When Linda was 5 years old, her father had accepted an offer to work at Nippon Unicar, a chemical products manufacturer, and the family had moved to Japan. She had then spent most of her childhood in that country.
- She was the first foreigner to have ever trained at the Toho Geino Academy. In her childhood and teenage years, she had been a part of the Imperial Theatre in Tokyo and had performed in several plays under their direction. She had returned to the United States at the age of 15.
- While she was still in high school, she had portrayed the character of Doreen Post in the soap opera The Secret Storm (1973-1974).
- After leaving the popular legal drama TV series Matlock in 1987, she had launched a career in jazz music and had released several albums.
Featured Image by Linda Purl / Instagram
Facts of Linda Purl
- full nameLinda Purl
- Date of Birth September 02, 1955
- Age 66 years 4 months
- Horoscope Virgo
- Lucky Number 4
- Lucky Stone Sapphire
- Lucky Color Green
- Best Match for Marriage Taurus, Capricorn
- weight58 kg
- height5 ft 5 in