Marc Bolan was an English singer, songwriter, musician, record producer, and poet best known as the lead singer of the band T. Rex. He was also a part of John’s Children and is considered as one of the prominent artists of the glam rock movement of the 1970s. During his career span, he worked on several albums which included the likes of Smashed Blocked!, My People Were Fair and Had Sky in Their Hair… But Now They’re Content to Wear Stars on Their Brows, You Scare Me to Death, Tanx, Zinc Alloy and the Hidden Riders of Tomorrow, Dandy in the Underworld, Electric Warrior, and Unicorn.
He was born on September 30, 1947.
On September 16, 1977, Marc Bolan died in a road accident at the age of 29 in Barnes, London, England, United Kingdom.
Stoke Newington, London, England, United Kingdom
Singer, Songwriter, Musician, Record Producer, Poet
- Father – Simeon Feld (Lorry Driver)
- Mother – Phyllis Winifred (née Atkins)
- Sibling – Harry Feld (Younger Brother)
- Others – Harry/Henry William Feld (Paternal Grandfather), Betsy Ruffell (Paternal Grandmother), Henry Leonard Atkins (Maternal Grandfather), Elsie Mary Pither (Maternal Grandmother)
Glam Rock, Rock and Roll, Psychedelic Folk (Early)
Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards
Decca Records, Reprise Records, Blue Thumb Records, Regal Zonophone, EMI, A&M Records, Fly Records
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Marc Bolan had dated –
- June Child (1968-1974) – He was married to actress June Child and the duo remained together until his death.
- Marsha A. Hunt (1969) – He had a fling with American actress Marsha A. Hunt in the year 1969.
- Linda Lewis (1970) – In 1970, he went out with English vocalist, songwriter, and guitarist Linda Lewis.
- Barbara Nessim (1971-1973)
- Queenie (1973)
- Shray Mecham (1973-1974) – He had a short-termed romance with American model Shray Mecham.
- Gloria Jones (1973-1977) – In 1973, he started going out with American singer and songwriter Gloria Jones. They were blessed with a son named Rolan Bolan in September 1975. The child’s godfather was .
- Sabel Starr (1973) – He had an encounter with American personality Sabel Starr in 1973.
Race / Ethnicity
Marc Bolan was of Ashkenazi Jewish and English descent.
- His curly mop of corkscrew hair
- Witty lyrics
Marc Bolan Facts
- He was named after his father’s late brother.
- He published his book of poetry The Warlock of Love in 1969.
- Regarding Marc Bolan’s musical genius, David Bowie once commented, “What I saw in Marc Bolan had nothing to do with strings, or very high standards of artistry; what I saw in him was raw talent. I saw genius. I saw a potential rock star in Marc – right from the minute, the hour I met him.”
- He died 2 weeks before his 30th birthday.
- He credited , The Beatles, , , and The Beach Boys as his inspirations.
- Although he loved cars, Marc Bolan never learned how to drive because he feared a premature death.
- His ashes were interred at Golders Green Crematorium in North London, England.
- In 2020, he was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Featured Image by Ian Dickson / Ian Dickson’s Collector’s Series / CC BY-SA 4.0
Facts of Marc Bolan
- full nameMarc Bolan
- Date of Birth September 30, 1947
- Age 74 years 1 months
- Horoscope Libra
- Lucky Number 6
- Lucky Stone Peridot
- Lucky Color Blue
- Best Match for Marriage Gemini
- weight65 kg
- height5 ft 5 in