Mario Andretti is an American former professional racing driver who is widely regarded as one of the greatest drivers of all time. He won the Indianapolis 500 event in 1969, the Formula One World Championship in 1978, and the PPG Indy Car World Series in 1984. He had also won the USAC Championship Car series in 1965, 1966, and 1969, and was a runner-up in 1967 and 1968. Mario is the first person to be named ‘United States Driver of the Year’ in 3 different decades (1967, 1978, and 1984), to have won IndyCar races in 4 different decades, and to have won automobile races of any kind in 5 different decades.
Mario Gabriele Andretti
Motovun, Istria, Croatia
Nazareth, Northampton County, Pennsylvania, United States
Professional Racing Driver (Retired)
- Father – Alvise Luigi “Gigi” Andretti (Farm Administrator)
- Mother – Rina Andretti
- Siblings – Aldo Andretti (Twin Brother), Anna Maria (Older Sister)
- Others – (Paternal Grandson) (Professional Racing Driver), Marissa Andretti (Paternal Granddaughter), Lucca Andretti (Paternal Grandson), MaryJo Andretti-Dial (Niece), Mark Andretti (Nephew), Adam Andretti (Nephew) (Former Professional Racing Driver), John Andretti (Nephew) (Former Professional Racing Driver) (d. 2020), Nancy Andretti (Niece-in-Law), Jarett Andretti (Grand Nephew) (Professional Racing Driver), Sandra Spinozzi (Ex-Daughter-in-Law), Leslie Wood (Ex-Daughter-in-Law), Jodi Ann Paterson (Daughter-in-Law) (Model, Actress, Former Beauty Queen), (Grand Daughter-in-Law) (Model, Actress), Miranda Andretti (Granddaughter), Isabella Andretti (Granddaughter), Mario Andretti (Paternal Grandson), Miati Andretti (Paternal Granddaughter), Andrea Andretti (Paternal Grandfather), Anna Ghersa (Paternal Grandmother)
He is represented by –
- John Caponigro, Business Manager & Booking Agent, Sports Management Network Inc., Troy, Oakland County, Michigan, United States
- Patty Reid, PR Agent, Sports Management Network Inc., Troy, Oakland County, Michigan, United States
Formula One Teams
Mario has raced for –
- Gold Leaf Team Lotus (1968-1969)
- STP Corporation (1970)
- Scuderia Ferrari SpA SEFAC (1971-1972, 1982)
- Vel’s Parnelli Jones Racing (1974-1976)
- John Player Team Lotus (1976-1978)
- Martini Racing Team Lotus (1979)
- Team Essex Lotus (1980)
- Marlboro Team Alfa Romeo (1981)
- TAG Williams Team (1982)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mario has dated –
- Dee Ann Hoch (1959-2018) – Mario began dating Dee Ann Hoch in 1959 and the couple got married on November 25, 1961. They had 3 children together – a daughter named Barbie Andretti (b. July 13, 1969) and 2 sons named (b. October 5, 1962) (Former Professional Racing Driver) and Jeff Andretti (b. April 14, 1964) (Former Professional Racing Driver). They were together till Dee Ann’s death in July 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Italian descent.
- Mildly stocky frame
- Tousled hair
- Puffy face
- Charming smile
- Clean-shaven look
Mario Andretti Favorite Things
- Racing Idols – Alberto Ascari, Stirling Moss
- Travel Destinations – Prague, Budapest, Russia, New Delhi, Mumbai
- Movie – To Please a Lady (1950)
- Musical Genre – Opera
- Musical Instrument – Saxophone
- Dessert – Dark Chocolate Gelato
- Meal – Grilled Veal Chops
- Pet – Dogs, Parrots, Pigs
- Dancer –
- Artist – Elie Hazak
- Racing Circuits – Circuit de Monaco in Monte Carlo, Kyalami Grand Prix Circuit in South Africa, Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indiana, Road America in Wisconsin
- Sculpture – La Pieta by Michelangelo
Source – MarioAndretti.com
Mario Andretti Facts
- He was born in Motovun, Croatia, which was then a part of Italy. His family left the place in 1948 and lived in a refugee camp in Lucca, Tuscany after World War II. They eventually moved to the United States in 1955, settled in Nazareth, Pennsylvania, and he became a naturalized citizen in April 1965.
- He was fascinated with fighter jets as a child and had wished to become a fighter pilot before getting involved with motorsports. He has even flown in an F-15, an F-16, and an F-111.
- As of June 2020, he remained the only driver in history to have won the Indianapolis 500 event (1969), the Daytona 500 event (1967), and the Formula One World Championship (1978).
- His first job was working at a gas station in Nazareth, Pennsylvania with his twin brother Aldo. He was 15 years old at that time.
- In 1992, he was chosen to induct his childhood hero Alberto Ascari, posthumously, into the ‘International Motorsports Hall of Fame’.
- As of June 2020, he was one of only 2 drivers, along with Dan Gurney, to have won races in Formula One, IndyCar, World Sportscar Championship, and NASCAR championships.
Featured Image by Mario Andretti / Instagram
Facts of Mario Andretti
- full nameMario Andretti
- Date of Birth February 28, 1940
- Age 81 years 10 months
- Horoscope Pisces
- Lucky Number 8
- Lucky Stone Aquamarine
- Lucky Color Sea Green
- Best Match for Marriage Cancer, Scorpio
- weight75 kg
- height5 ft 7 in