Mary Kom is an Indian Olympic boxer who has won the World Amateur Boxing Championship 6 times and was the first boxer of either gender to win 8 World Championships. She won a Bronze medal at the 2012 London Olympics in the flyweight category and was the first Indian female boxer to win a Gold medal at the Asian Games (2014), a feat that she repeated at the 2018 Commonwealth Games. In April 2016, she was nominated as a member of the Rajya Sabha, the upper house of the Indian Parliament. The Government of India conferred on Mary the Padma Shri in 2006 and the Padma Bhushan in 2013, the 4th-highest and the 3rd-highest civilian awards respectively, of the Republic of India. In 2009, she was honored with the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, the highest official sports honor of India.
Imphal, Manipur, India
She is represented by Infinity Optimal Solutions (IOS), Sports Management Agency, New Delhi, India.
Pinweight / Flyweight
Boyfriend / Spouse
Mary Kom has dated –
- Karung Onkholer (Onler) (2000–Present) – Mary first met soccer player Karung Onkholer in 2000 when she was traveling to compete in the National Games. Karung was the President of a North-Eastern students’ body at that time and helped Mary with some logistics. After a few years of dating, they got married in 2005 and have 3 sons together – twins named Rechungvar Kom and Khupneivar Kom (b. 2007), and another boy named Prince Chungthanglen Kom (b. 2013). In 2018, the couple adopted a girl named Merilyn.
- Short Stature
- Toned physique
- Charming smile
- Long, straight hair
- Has a mole on her neck
Mary has endorsed brands and organizations such as –
- Dalmia Bharat Cement
- Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED)
- Manpasand Beverages
- CRI Pumps
She has appeared in the TV commercials for brands such as –
- CRI Pumps
- Tata Salt
- Maruti Suzuki Swift
- Sunfeast Marie Light
Mary Kom Favorite Things
- Boxers/Role Models – Dingko Singh,
- Cuisine – Chinese, Manipuri
- Manipuri Dishes – Nga Atoiba Thongba, Chamthong
- Animal Protein – Beef, Pork
- Exercise Routine – Skipping
- Movie Genre – Action
- Actor –
- Music Genre – Rock
- Pet – Dogs
Source – , , , ,
Mary Kom Facts
- During her schooldays, Mary used to compete in javelin throwing, football, volleyball, and 400 meters running. It was the success of fellow Manipuri boxer Dingko Singh, who won a Gold medal at the 1998 Asian Games, that inspired her to make the switch from athletics to boxing.
- She did not reveal her love for boxing to her father, an ex-wrestler, as her father felt that the sport would ruin her face and she would find it difficult to get married. He eventually came to know about it when he saw Mary’s photo in the newspaper after she won the state boxing championship in 2000.
- Mary is the only female boxer who won a medal in each of the first 7 editions of the World Amateur Boxing Championships. She was also the first boxer to become the Asian Amateur Boxing Champion 5 times.
- In October 2010, she was given the honor of bearing the Queen’s Baton during the opening ceremony of the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
- In March 2017, the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports of India’s Central Government appointed Mary and fellow boxer Akhil Kumar as national observers for the sport of boxing.
- The Government of Manipur, her native state, conferred on her the title Meethoi Leima (which loosely translates to ‘Exceptional Lady’) in 2018.
- In October 2019, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) named Mary as one of boxing’s athlete ambassadors for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.
- Her autobiography titled Unbreakable was published in 2013.
Featured Image by Mary Kom / Instagram
Facts of Mangte Chungneijang Mary Kom
- Gender Female
- full nameMangte Chungneijang Mary Kom
- nicknamesMary Kom, Magnificent Mary, Meethoi Leima
- birthplaceKangathei Village, Moirang Lamkhai, Churachandpur, Manipur, India
- Date of Birth March 01, 1983
- Age 38 years 8 months
- Horoscope Pisces
- Lucky Number 7
- Lucky Stone Aquamarine
- Lucky Color Sea Green
- Best Match for Marriage Cancer, Scorpio
- ethnicity / ethnic backgroundKom tribal community of the state of Manipur
- religionChristianity (Baptist)
- net worth$ 1 Million
- weight50 kg or 110 lbs
- height5 ft 2 in or 157.5 cm
- hair colorBlack
- eye colorDark Brown
- body type / buildAthletic
- high schoolLoktak Christian Model High School
- motherMangte Akham Kom
- fatherMangte Tonpa Kom