MC Lyte is an American rapper whose fame came around the late 1980s. She began rapping at the age of 12 and became the 1st female rapper to release a full album. The album was titled Lyte as a Rock. She is regarded as one of hip-hop’s pioneer feminists, having been the first misogynistic female rapper with a habit for picking out the sexism and misogyny in men. She paved the way for other female rappers. Her albums are always well recognized for their lyrics which are usually uncensored and goes straight to the point she’s trying to make.
MC Lyte’s got her 1st acting role in 1991 in a theater play titled Club Twelve. It was a hip-hop twist on Twelfth Night alongside ,, and Lisa Nicole Carson. Her first film debut was in 1993 and was titled Fly by Night. In the movie, she starred alongside Jeffrey Sams, Ron Brice, and Steve Gomer. She has also played as Detective Makama Daniels in Tales (2017) which is a movie with premise set in the 1960s.
MC Lyte attended Hunter College in New York City, New York, United States.
MC Lyte is represented by –
- Pantheon (Talent Agency), Los Angeles, California, United States
- Pallas Management Group (Talent Management Company), Los Angeles, California, United States
Hip hop, Rap
- DuBose Music Group
- First Priority Music/Atlantic Records
- East West America/Elektra Records
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
MC Lyte has dated –
- – Janelle is an American singer, songwriter, rapper, actress, and model. She is signed to her own imprint, Wondaland Arts Society, and Atlantic Records. The period in which the two artists dated is unknown but rumored to be around the year 2015.
- John Wyche (2016-Present) – The female rapper tied the knot in August 2017 in Montego Bay, Jamaica, to her now husband, Marine Corp veteran and entrepreneur, John Wyche. In an interview with Essence, she said, “I got my king.” Reggae Congo bands played when Lyte walked down the aisle, and their friend Kelly Price serenaded the couple during the ceremony. Afterward, they held an intimate gathering with close friends and family.
- Different hairstyles
- Thick full lips
- Large ears
Best Known For
- Being the first solo female rapper to release a full album with 1988’s critically acclaimed Lyte as a Rock
- Playing a Detective Makena Daniels role in the drama series Tales in 2017
- Opening Shaitel, a Los Angeles boutique that specialized in accessories from belts to sunglasses
- Doing voiceovers on television programs and films
In September 1988, MC Lyte released her first album, Lyte as a Rock. It was written over the course of many years. The album was noted for such hits as Paper Thin, its title track, and the battle rap 10% Dis, a response from then-Hurby Azor associate, Antoinette.
MC Lyte made her first theatrical film appearance in the role of Akusa in the movie Fly by Night in 1992.
First TV Show
MC Lyte made her first TV show appearance as Herself on The Arsenio Hall Show in 1990.
MC Lyte Favorite Things
- Activity – Rapping, Acting
MC Lyte Facts
- She calls the Audio Two, an hip hop duo, her brothers (Rumor). They grew up and have sung together. Nat Robinson, their father, started a label for them called the First Priority. He also got his sons a record deal with Atlantic Records, but they didn’t sign it without the inclusion of MC Lyte.
- MC Lyte started recording her 1st song at the age of 14, but she didn’t complete and release it till she was 16.
- Her 4th album Ain’t No Other (1993), became one of the Top 40 pop hits and was also her 1st album to attain the ‘gold’ status.
- In 1997, Lynn started a talent management company known as Sunni Gyrl Inc.
- MC Lyte recorded a song My Main Aim which was used in the NBA Live 2005 video game produced by EA Sports.
- She began her career by using the stage name “Sparkle”.
- At the age of 17, MC Lyte delved into her career as a Master of Ceremony (MC). Within a very short period in her career, she already began to do better than other MCs in the industry, getting more gigs than those who started before her.
- MC Lyte went 12 years without releasing an album after the 7th album came out. In 2015, her 8th album was finally released and was titled Legend. Several popular songs were on the album, such as Check and Ball.
- Her diary, several other records from her early days and other items from the early days of hip hop were donated to the Smithsonian Institution in 2006.
- MC Lyte has also been involved in business asides her job in the entertainment industry. She opened a boutique in Los Angeles that sells several fashion items, including those that can’t be found outside the store.
- Several celebrities and companies have employed MC Lyte as their DJ to provide music for their programs. Some of them include , Nissan, Google, and The Image Awards.
- MC Lyte was the 1st black woman to ever serve as President of the Recording Academy in any chapter. She was the president for 2 years (2011-2013).
- MC Lyte does charity giving, providing young ones with the opportunity to achieve their dreams by giving out scholarships of up to $100,000.
- MC Lyte is the 1st female rapper ever to be nominated for the Grammy Award.
- She has done voice-overs for several brand commercials.
- MC Lyte also prides herself as a public speaker, having spoken at several colleges and universities and to very popular individuals such as Russell Simmons. She is known for her message of empowerment to the young and old.
- Follow MC Lyte on and .
Featured Image by MC Lyte / Instagram
Facts of Lana Michelle Moorer
- Gender Female
- full nameLana Michelle Moorer
- nicknamesMC Lyte
- birthplaceBrooklyn, New York, United States
- Date of Birth October 11, 1971
- Age 51 years 11 months
- Horoscope Libra
- Lucky Number 3
- Lucky Stone Peridot
- Lucky Color Blue
- Best Match for Marriage Gemini
- ethnicity / ethnic backgroundAfrican-American
- net worth$10 million
- professionEmcee-songwriter, Model, Actress, Speaker, DJ, Voiceover talent, Narrator, Mentor
- weight66 kg or 145.5 lbs
- height5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
- hair colorDark Brown
- eye colorDark Brown
- body type / buildVoluptuous
- collegeHunter College
- fatherNat Robinson