Mithali Raj is an Indian cricketer who has served as the captain of the Indian women’s national cricket team in Tests and ODIs. Regarded as one of the greatest batswomen in the game, she has been one of the highest run-scorers in women’s international cricket and as of January 2020, the only female cricket player to have crossed the 6,000 run mark in WODIs. After her retirement from T20Is in September 2019, she became the first woman to have played international cricket for 20 years. She has been conferred numerous prestigious awards including the Arjuna Award in 2003 and the Padma Shri in 2015.
Mitali Dorai Raj
Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India
Hyderabad, Telangana, India
She went to Keyes High School for Girls in Secunderabad. She then enrolled in Kasturba Gandhi Junior College for Women in West Marredpally (Secunderabad) and completed her intermediate studies.
Mithali later got enrolled in St. John’s Cricket Academy in Hyderabad.
- Father – Dorai Raj (Indian Air Force Airman)
- Mother – Leela Raj (Former Cricketer)
- Siblings – Mithun (Older Brother)
She is represented by Annisha Gupta.
Right-Arm Leg Break
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
60 kg or 132 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Dimpled smile
- Square-shaped face
She has endorsed several brands such as –
- Australian Diamonds
- Lia Agarbatti
- L’Oréal Paris
Mithali Raj Favorite Things
- Nutrition Brand – Fast & Up
- Cricketer – Michael Clarke, ,
- Food – Soan Papdi
- Place – London
Source – , FashionLady.in,
Mithali Raj Facts
- She hails from a Tamil family.
- Before getting involved with cricket, she was a classical dancer specializing in Bharatnatyam and she had a great interest in that field.
- She began to play cricket at the age of 10 along with her brother. She practiced at school and used to frequently play with male cricketers in the nets.
- Mithali had never thought of becoming a cricketer and it was her parents who introduced her to the game. She was a lazy child and her father wanted her to be disciplined and active and got her admitted to St. John’s Cricket Academy in Hyderabad. She has disclosed that right from the start, she played cricket only to satisfy her parents.
- When she was only 17 years old, she was picked up by the Indian Cricket Team. She was placed in the position of a batting consultant for India women’s national cricket team and she participated as a player-coach.
- Her first coach was former Ranji player Jyothi Prasad.
- In the domestic matches, she has represented the Railways, Air India, and India Blue.
- She has always come in to bat with her signature floppy hat and blue jersey number 3.
- Mithali is the first player to score 7 half-centuries one after the other in ODIs.
- When she became the 2nd female cricketer to surpass 5000 ODI runs, Twitterati began to refer to her as “Lady Sachin”.
- In 2017, she was featured on BBC’s “100 Women” list.
- She has amassed more than a million followers on Instagram.
- Mithali is an avid reader and her image of reading The Essential Rumi went viral during the World Cup of 2017. Her love for reading started with a Sidney Sheldon book gifted to her by a senior teammate during a long train journey when she was a teenager. She has revealed that reading has helped her to overcome the intense pressure of competition and so she has brought books on all her tours.
Featured Image by Mithali Raj / Instagram
Facts of Mithali Raj
- full nameMithali Raj
- Date of Birth December 03, 1982
- Age 41 years 2 months
- Horoscope Sagittarius
- Lucky Number 8
- Lucky Stone Turquoise
- Lucky Color Orange
- Best Match for Marriage Leo, Aquarius
- weight60 kg
- height5 ft 4 in