Motilal Nehru was a well-distinguished lawyer and activist of the “Indian Independence Movement.” Besides that, he also played an important part in the Indian Congress Party. Motilal’s contribution as a member of the party also furthered him into becoming the president of Congress twice. Nevertheless, Motilal Nehru was also father to India’s first Prime Minister Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru.
Motilal was born on August 22, 1861.
Girlfriend / Spouse
Motilal’s name was linked with –
- – They had 3 children, the oldest being (November 14, 1889), then (b. August 18, 1900), and the youngest Krishna Hutheesing (b. 1907).
- Square face shape
- He used to sport a thick long mustache.
Motilal Nehru Facts
- His father Gangadhar was a Kotwal in Delhi. However, in 1857, he and his family relocated to Agra in order to escape the brunt of the independence struggle.
- He was born 3 months after the death of his father.
- Motilal spent his formative years in Agra and later moved to Khetri where he was raised.
- After the death of his father, Motilal and his mother were supported by his 2 older brothers.
- Motilal was the patriarch of the third generation of the Nehru-Gandhi family.
- His eldest brother Bansi worked with the judicial department of the British Government and his older brother Nandlal was the Diwan of the state of Khetri in Rajputana.
- Nehru served as the President of Congress twice first being from 1919 to 1920 and for the second time from 1928 to 1929.
- Motilal’s son Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru who became the first Prime Minister of India on August 15, 1947, is also the longest Prime Minister in India with an incredible 17 years to his stint.
- Motilal was the grandfather of renowned politician and great grandfather to politician .
- It was his older brother Nandlal who educated Motilal. He along with his brother’s children became the first in Agra and Allahabad to receive Western-style college education.
- After the death of his brother Nandlal at the age of 42, Motilal was forced to take care of his brother’s 5 sons and 2 daughters as he was the sole bread-earner. He was only 25 years old at the time.
- In 1900, Motilal bought a big home for his entire family to reside in. It was named the Anand Bhavan.
- Motilal was the founder of the Allahabad based newspaper The Independent. He started to oppose the already publishing newspaper The Leader.
- According to sources, he was so influenced by the teachings of that in 1918, he became the first person to replace his rich and western attire with a sober and traditional Indian look.
Featured Image By / Public Domain
Facts of Motilal Nehru
- Gender Male
- full nameMotilal Nehru
- birthplaceAgra, North-Western Provinces, British India
- Date of Birth August 22, 1861
- Horoscope Leo
- Lucky Number 10
- Lucky Stone Ruby
- Lucky Color Gold
- Best Match for Marriage Sagittarius, Gemini, Aries
- date of death1931-02-06
- professionActivist, Lawyer
- weight70 kg or 154.5 lbs
- height5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
- hair colorDark Brown
- eye colorDark Brown
- body type / buildSlim
- collegeMuir Central College
- fatherGangadhar Nehru
- brothersBansi Dhar Nehru, Nandlal Nehru