Nelson Mandela was a South African anti-apartheid revolutionary, political leader, lawyer, and philanthropist who served as the first black President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999. A revered figure and social icon, he was one of the major forces who helped bring an end to the apartheid system of racial discrimination.
He was born on July 18, 1918.
Nelson Mandela died due to a respiratory infection at the age of 95 on December 5, 2013, in Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa.
Mandela Graveyard, Qunu, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Girlfriend / Spouse
Nelson Mandela had dated –
- Evelyn Ntoko Mase (1944-1958) – Their marriage resulted in the birth of 4 children including Madiba Thembekile Mandela, Makgatho Mandela, and Makaziwe Mandela. The duo’s 2nd child died only after 9 months of her birth.
- Winnie Madikizela (1958-1996) – He married anti-apartheid activist and politician, Winnie Madikizela, in 1958 and they had 2 daughters named Zenani (b. 1958) and Zindziwa (b. 1960). The marriage ended in a divorce.
- Graça Machel (1998-2013) – Nelson Mandela was married to the Mozambican politician and humanitarian, Graça Machel, from 1998 until his death in 2013.
- Often wore colorful batik shirts
- Impactful personality
Nelson Mandela Facts
- Due to his rigorous revolutionary activities, he spent a generous amount of time in jails.
- Nelson Mandela became the 2nd person who was granted honorary Canadian citizenship and was also appointed Honorary Companion of the Order of Canada by the Governor General of Canada on behalf of the Queen of Canada on September 24, 1998.
- In 2003, he spoke against the United States and the United Kingdom as they planned to launch a war against Iraq and said, “All that (Mr. Bush) wants is Iraqi oil”.
- Amongst the many awards and recognitions that he received for his tireless efforts to uplift the marginalized, some of them include Nobel Peace Prize (1993), Bharat Ratna (1990), Lenin Peace Prize (1990), and International Gandhi Peace Prize (2001).
- Nelson Mandela once said, “Nonviolence is a good policy when the conditions permit.”
Featured Image by Library of the London School of Economics and Political Science / Flickr / Public Domain
Facts of Rolihlahla Mandela
- Gender Male
- full nameRolihlahla Mandela
- nicknamesNelson, Madiba
- birthplaceMvezo, Cape Province, Union of South Africa
- ethnicity / ethnic backgroundThembu (Xhosa) South African
- nationalitySouth African
- net worth$10 Million
- professionRevolutionary, Political Leader, Lawyer, Philanthropist
- height6 ft or 183 cm
- hair colorGray
- eye colorDark Brown
- body type / buildSlim
- collegeUniversity of Fort Hare
- motherNosekeni Fanny
- fatherGadla Henry Mphakanyiswa