P. V. Sindhu is a talented Indian professional badminton player. She is known for being the first Indian woman to win an Olympic silver medal. Apart from that, she has won silver medals in Women’s singles at Commonwealth Games (2018), BWF World Championships (2017 & 2018) and Asian Games (2018). She won gold in the BWF world tour finals in 2018. P. V. Sindhu is also a recipient of numerous national honors including Padma Shri, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, and Arjuna Award. Pullela Gopichand, one of India’s best former professional badminton player, is her coach. She has a huge social media fan base with more than 1.5 million followers on Instagram and more than 3 million followers on Twitter.
Hyderabad, Telangana, India
P. V. Sindhu studied at the Auxilium High School in Hyderabad till 9th grade. Due to her busy schedule, she completed her studies through correspondence.
She also has a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce from St. Ann’s College for Women in Mehdipatnam, Hyderabad, India.
Boyfriend / Spouse
P. V. Sindhu has rarely spoken about her personal life in her interactions with the media, which makes it difficult for us to ascertain anything about her dating history and love life.
- Long squared chin
- Broad shoulders
P. V. Sindhu has either endorsed or appeared in commercials for brands like –
- PNB MetLife
- Nokia smartphones
- Panasonic batteries
- POCO F1 for Flipkart
- Bank Of Baroda
- Apis Himalaya Honey
- Li-Ning Company Limited
- Samsung Electronics Company
- HARMAN International
- JBL ‘Endurance’ earphones
- Bridgestone India
- Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd.
Best Known For
Being the first Indian woman to win a silver medal in badminton at the Olympics in 2016 at Rio, losing to of Spain. Other top badminton players that she had faced include Tai Tzu Ying of Taiwan, Akane Yamaguchi of Japan, Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand, Sung Ji-hyun of South Korea, Chen Yufei of China, and more.
In April 2009, she was scheduled to play her first match against Pooja Shrestha of Nepal at the Yonex Sunrise India Open in Hyderabad, India, which however resulted in a walkover, allowing P. V. Sindhu to advance to qualifying round 2.
First TV Show
In 2016, she made her first TV show appearance on the sports mini-series Rio 2016: Games of the XXXI Olympiad.
Other than the broadcast of her badminton matches, she made her first TV show appearance on Kaun Banega Crorepati? as ‘Herself’ in 2017.
P. V. Sindhu trains 6 days a week for 6-7 hours per day. Her workout session is chalked out every month, focusing on her back, abdomen, knees, and shoulders. Her fitness plan is prescribed by her physiotherapist, Kiran Challagundla, who frequently examines her blood composition, body weight, heart rate, physical strength, and stamina. Kiran monitors her fitness results and makes changes accordingly. He is also responsible for prescribing her with nutritional supplements whenever necessary. She also practices , pranayama, kapalabhati, and . Her training can be divided into 4 sessions –
- 4:00/4:30 AM–7:00 AM: She has a private training session with Coach Pullela Gopichand.
- 8:00 AM-10:00 AM – Group training session
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM – Third training session
- 4:00 PM-7:00 PM – Gym class or training session. Here, P. V. Sindhu does 2-3 sets of ten 400m runs every other day to build endurance and strength. She does 100 push-ups and 200 sit-ups per day for a target of 600 pushups and 2400 abdominal exercises in a week, which helps to activate her and abdominal muscles.
As for her diet, she follows a nutritious, balanced diet of carbs and ; while remaining hydrated during her workout session by taking lots of liquid. Her typical diet plan is –
- Breakfast – Usually consists of milk, , and fruits
- Lunch And Dinner – She usually takes with vegetables and rice.
- Workout Snack – Small bowl of fruits, few dried nuts, and a bottle of Gatorade
P. V. Sindhu Favorite Things
- Cheat Food – Hyderabadi biryani
P. V. Sindhu Facts
- At the age of 8, she started playing badminton under the guidance of Mehboob Ali at the badminton courts of the Indian Railway Institute of Signal Engineering and Telecommunications in Secunderabad.
- In September 2012, at just 17 years of age, she broke into the top 20 of the BWF World Ranking.
- By reaching the finals at the Olympics badminton event, she became the youngest Indian to make a podium finish at an individual event.
- In March 2015, she was awarded the Padma Shri which is India’s 4th highest civilian honor.
- Off-the-court, she is not aggressive and is a very jovial and fun-loving person.
- Apart from sports, she is passionate about clothes and loves spending time shopping.
- V. Sindhu’s hidden talent is dancing.
- Her watch list on Netflix includes sports documentaries.
- Her workout playlist includes pop and rock music.
- The best advice she’s received is from her father who told her to stay grounded and not get carried away by any amount of success.
- Bharat Petroleum employed her as an assistant sports manager in 2013.
- In 2014, she was named “Breakthrough Sportsperson of the Year” by FICCI.
- In 2014, NDTV named her as the “Indian of the Year”.
Featured Image by Silverscreen / silverscreen.in / CC BY-SA 3.0
Facts of Pusarla Venkata Ramana Sindhu
- Gender Female
- full namePusarla Venkata Ramana Sindhu
- nicknamesP. V. Sindhu
- birthplaceHyderabad, Telangana, India
- Date of Birth July 05, 1995
- Age 27 years 11 months
- Horoscope Cancer
- Lucky Number 9
- Lucky Stone Moonstone
- Lucky Color Silver
- Best Match for Marriage Taurus, Pisces, Scorpio
- ethnicity / ethnic backgroundSouth Indian
- net worth$10 million
- professionProfessional Badminton Player
- weight65 kg or 143.5 lbs
- height5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
- hair colorBlack
- eye colorDark Brown
- body type / buildAthletic
- high schoolAuxilium High School
- collegeSt. Ann’s College
- fatherV. Ramana
- sistersP. V. Divya