Prabal Gurung is a fashion designer who was born in Singapore and studied in Nepal, India, and United States. He resides in America and is an accomplished fashion designer who has made his name worldwide now by working in silence in the background.
Prabal who has Nepalese roots also visits his home country once in a while and raised funds (more than $1 million) during the Nepal earthquake in 2015. He is famous for his fashion label “Prabal Gurung” launched in 2009.
Prabal Rana Gurung ( as Prah-bull (like “trouble“) goo-roong)
New York City, New York, United States
- American – Became a citizen of the United States in September 2013
Prabal studied in a Catholic Jesuit School called St. Xavier’s in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Prabal was an average student who was less interested in sports and academics and was predominantly inclined towards dance, theatre, elocution, and drawing during his school years.
For a Bachelor’s degree, he studied Hotel Management in Catering Technology and Applied Nutrition at the National Council of Hotel Management in Mumbai, India.
Thereafter, he continued his higher education by enrolling in the prestigious Indian design academy called the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT).
In 1999, Prabal enrolled in the Parsons School of Design based in New York City and became an intern for alongside.
In his first year of study, he was adjudged the Best Designer at the Annual Parsons Fit Design competition.
Shortly after his course completion, Prabal worked for Cynthia Rowley for 2 years and was hired as a design director for Bill Blass for the following 5 years.
He finally launched his luxury clothing line named after him in February 2009.
- Mother – (Former Boutique owner)
- Siblings – (Older Brother) (Indian Film Director), Kumudini Shrestha (Older Sister) (Teacher & Social Worker)
- Others – Vaidehi Shrestha (Niece)
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
72 kg or 159 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Prabal has dated –
- (2019) – Prabal was rumored to be in a relationship with Indian director Karan Johar in 2019. It all started when the designer sent his good friend a birthday wish on Instagram on May 25, 2019. However, he responded to the relationship rumors by clarifying that Karan was his mentor and dear friend.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Nepali ancestry.
- Typical East Asian double lid eyes.
- Rest of his facial features has a resemblance to South Asian people owing to a much larger, sharper nose, and light brown skin.
- Usually maintains a slick, clean-shaven appearance.
Prabal supports brands behind the scenes with his designing talent and as such has never been the face of any label to increase its commercial visibility.
- Prabal’s in his own name is worn and promoted by various A-list celebrities at red carpet events all over the world.
- Japanese company Onward Kashiyama hired Prabal Gurung as their chief designer to re-launch their ICB brand in the US Market in 2012.
- Prabal also collaborated with the retail giant, Target to design their clothing collection in 2013.
- He collaborated with MAC Cosmetics in 2014 to launch an exclusive line of products.
- Buddhism that comprises the elements of Shamanism, particularly observed by the Gurung tribe of Nepal.
- Opened his 2015 New York Fashion Week Runway show with a prayer by 30 Buddhist monks to thank the world for their assistance, following the devastating earthquake in Nepal earlier in April 2015.
Best Known For
His women’s clothing and accessories label called Prabal Gurung.
He has never been cast in a theatrical film.
First TV Show
One episode guest appearance as himself in a TV series called The City in 2010.
- Prabal usually goes to bed by midnight and wakes up by 5:30 to 6:00 am to hit the gym.
- He tries to work out at least 4-5 times a week and takes personal training sessions from or .
- In case they are not available, Prabal prefers to train at the Equinox gym in Soho.
- He starts his day by drinking a glass and a half of water.
- As per his dietary preferences, he is conscious about and tries to eat healthy as often as he can.
- Prabal has a fondness for spicy food.
Prabal Gurung Favorite Things
- Color – Red
- Sneaker Brand – Saint Laurent black high tops
- American City – New York City
- Tech Inventions – Apple Products, Tesla cars
- Colors For Personal Clothing – Black, White, Navy Blue
- Band – The Rolling Stones, Radiohead
- Local Bands In Nepal – Midnight Riders, Bipul Chettri
- Hometown Restaurants – The Old House, Roadhouse Cafe, Vesper Cafe, and Lhakpa’s Chulo
- Shop – Barter Books, Northumberland at Alnwick Station which is a vintage bookshop
- Spa – The Refinery, London
- Museum – Dr. Bhau Daji Lad Museum, Mumbai City, India
- Hotel – The Claridges, London
- Boutique – Didier Ludot Vintage Clothing Boutique, Paris
- Pizza Topping – Hot Sauce
- NYC Restaurant – Indochine, Café Clover, Mission Chinese, Marlow & Sons
- NYC Restaurants For Japanese Food – Ootaya, Omen
- NYC Place For Breakfast / Brunch – Sant Ambroeus
- NYC Place For Date Night – Blue Hill Restaurant
- NYC Restaurant Serving Nepalese Cuisine – Mustang Thakali Kitchen, Queens NYC, Yak in Queens, Dhaulagiri
- Advice – Grace under pressure
- Fun Activity – Karaoke singing
- Beverage – Nepalese Tea
- Cocktail – A Ketel One martini with a twist from Café Clover
- Guilty Pleasure – Spicy Korean food from Korea Town
- NYC Bookstores – McNally Jackson, The Strand
- Food Delivery App – Caviar
- Social Event – The Met Gala
- NYC Museum / Art Gallery – The Met, The New Museum, Hauser & Wirth, Gagosian Gallery
- Vacation Spot – Anguilla, Paris / South of France, London, Anywhere in India
- Designer – Antonio Azzuolo for customized men’s formal clothing
- Artists – Cecily Brown, Sterling Ruby, Elizabeth Peyton, Christopher Wool
- NYC Place To Buy Gifts – John Derian, The Strand
- Hair Stylist & Salon – Tim Nolan, Hair Stylist at Serge Normant at John Frieda
- Fashion Icons – Yves Saint Laurent, , Azzedine Alaia
- Personal Style – Jeans and T-shirt
- Shop In Delhi – Fab India
Source – , , , ,
Prabal Gurung Facts
- He is responsible for designing outfits for some of the most famous and respected women in the world such as , , , , , , , and to name a few.
- While studying, apart from working as an apprentice at several fashion houses in the national capital of India, Prabal was also employed by world-renowned, ace fashion designer, Manish Arora.
- For 7 years (during the initial years of his life), he traveled to Europe and Australia to assist stylists in International fashion shows.
- According to him, and are the best-dressed women in Hollywood while is the best-dressed man.
- His father is from a middle-class family while his mother was related to the royal family of Nepal. Since their families did not agree to their union, Prabal’s parents got married and eloped to Singapore.
- Prabal was brought back to be raised in Kathmandu at the age of 9 and enrolled in an all-boys school. Since he often played a girl’s role in school plays, he was frequently ridiculed by his classmates.
- He also witnessed that lack of family support for his parents’ marriage persisted which led to their subsequent divorce.
- Prabal’s resounding feminist stance in his work stems from his deep attachment to his single mother, sister, and niece.
- He talks to his siblings on the phone almost every day and pays an annual visit to his hometown and country to recharge his love for his roots.
- was the first celebrity to wear a dress designed by him which was influenced by the Nepalese women’s wrap dress called Haku Patasi. She was also responsible for getting him major attention on Twitter.
- In collaboration with his siblings, Prabal established the Shikshya Foundation in Nepal to sponsor the education of poor girls in his country.
- In 2011, he was named the goodwill ambassador of Maiti Nepal.
- In 2011, Prabal was also the recipient of the Swarovski Award for Womenswear awarded by the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA).
- In the aftermath of the 2015 earthquake in Nepal, Prabal established a Nepal Earthquake relief fund and raised more than $1 million dollars for the assistance of the victims in his home country.
- The designer never leaves his bed unmade in the morning.
- He particularly dislikes American reality shows where older women try to dress young and appear young.
- He was a vocal supporter of during the 2016 Presidential Elections and designed t-shirts for her campaign.
- Prabal introduced himself to Hillary in 2014 at Diane von Furstenberg’s book signing party. He was surprised as well as flattered to find out that Hillary already knew of him because her daughter frequently wears his designs.
- The designer does not believe in loud rebellion for attention. He credits his success to quiet but confident work done in silence in the background. He also claims to create and live by his own rules.
- He likes collecting vintage white t-shirts from all over the world.
- Catch a glimpse of his latest designs on the page of his label.
Featured Image by Prabal Gurung / Instagram
Facts of Prabal Gurung
- full namePrabal Gurung
- Date of Birth March 31, 1979
- Age 44 years 1 months
- Horoscope Aries
- Lucky Number 6
- Lucky Stone Diamond
- Lucky Color Red
- Best Match for Marriage Leo
- weight72 kg
- height5 ft 9 in