Richard Cabral is an American actor, writer, poet, director, and producer who is known for playing the role of Hector Tonz in the anthology crime drama television series, American Crime, for which he also received a Primetime Emmy Award nomination in the “Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or a Movie” category in 2015. Growing up, he had a tumultuous life as his family was involved in the gang scene and, thus, he also became a part of it. As a result of that, Richard Cabral has been in and out of the prison several times and was a documented member of a gang as well. However, when he finally decided to leave behind the life of crime and start off in a better direction, he was guided into the direction of Homeboy Industries which helped him a great deal to establish a life away from the notoriety. Soon after, he started working as an actor and has since appeared in a number of shows and movies such as Lethal Weapon, A Better Life, Southland, End of Watch, Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, Walk of Shame, Khali the Killer, Body of Proof, Chicago Fire, All Creatures Here Below, Windows on the World, Key and Peele, Mayans MC, Into the dark, and many others. Richard Cabral has also branched out as a writer, producer, and director and has worked on several projects which include the likes of Jesus and Moi, In Varrio We Trust, and Out the Box. Moreover, he has also accumulated an impressive fan base on social media with more than 150k followers on Instagram, more than 20k followers on Facebook, and more than 30k followers on Twitter.
Los Angeles, California, United States
Richard Cabral has obtained a GED (General Educational Development).
Richard Cabral is represented by Primary Wave Entertainment, Talent Management Company, Los Angeles, California, United States.
Girlfriend / Spouse
Richard Cabral has dated –
- Janiece Sarduy (2014-Present) – Richard Cabral is in a relationship with Janiece Sarduy. The duo got married in 2014 and has since been together and also parents 4 children. They both often share their pictures with their children on social media to give fans a closer glance at their lives. However, around the year 2016, there were reports claiming that the couple was on the verge of a split and had even filed for a divorce. Despite all that, they seem to be doing well in their married life.
- Lean body
- Sports a light beard
- Several tattoos
Richard Cabral has either endorsed or promoted a couple of brands through social media which include the likes of DIRTBAGS, Chopard, Wayman + Micah, Ermenegildo Zegna, Louis Leeman, and Paul Smith.
Best Known For
- Having been cast as Hector Tonz in the anthology crime drama television series, American Crime, in which he starred alongside the likes of , Timothy Hutton, , Caitlin Gerard, Benito Martinez, Penelope Ann Miller, Elvis Nolasco, , , , and Connor Jessup. For his performance on the show, he was nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award in the “Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited Series or a Movie” category as well as an OFTA Television Award in the “Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture or Miniseries” category in 2015. Moreover, he also won the 20th Satellite Award in the “Best Ensemble – Television Series” (shared with the ensemble) category in the year 2016.
- Appearing as Detective Alex Cruz in the buddy cop action comedy-drama television series, Lethal Weapon, which stars actors , , , , and Kevin Rahm
- Having been cast as Johnny “El Coco” Cruz, a former Marine and full patch member of the Mayans M.C., in the crime drama television series, Mayans M.C., in which he stars alongside the likes of , Clayton Cardenas, Sarah Bolger, Michael Irby, and Carla Baratta
- Playing a wide range of characters in several movies such as Marcelo Valdez in A Better Life, The Green Hornet in The Counselor, Demon in End of Watch, Arturo Lopez in Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones, Gang Member in Walk of Shame, Joker in Blood Father, Hugo in All Creatures Here Below, Khali in Khali the Killer, and Domingo in Windows on the World
Richard Cabral made his first theatrical film appearance by playing the role of Marcelo Valdez in the drama film, A Better Life, in 2011. Directed by Chris Weitz, the lead cast of the film included the likes of Demián Bichir, José Julián, Dolores Heredia, Carlos Linares, Gabriel Chavarria, Eddie “Piolín” Sotelo, Joaquín Cosío, and Nancy Lenehan.
First TV Show
Richard Cabral made his first TV show appearance by playing the role of Joker Ruiz in an episode, titled Derailed, of the thriller crime drama series, Southland, in May 2009. The show starred the likes of , Arija Bareikis, Michael Cudlitz, Shawn Hatosy, , Michael McGrady, , , and C. Thomas Howell.
Richard Cabral stays healthy by leading an active life.
Richard Cabral Facts
- He was raised in East Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California in a second-generation Mexican-American family.
- Richard Cabral once revealed in an interview with Entertainment Tonight that his family has been involved in the gang scene since the 1970s and, hence, he also became a part of the notoriety when he was quite young. Moreover, he was also a documented member of a gang in the city of Elizabeth, New Jersey, United States.
- He was a mere 13 years old when he was incarcerated for stealing a wallet and by the time he turned 15, he had become addicted to crack cocaine.
- When Richard Cabral was 25 years old, he was released from his term of imprisonment as he was previously sentenced to prison for violent assault with a deadly weapon.
- It was his friends who advised him to seek help from Homeboy Industries, a program intended to assist high-risk youth, former gang members, and the recently incarcerated with a variety of free programs, such as mental health counseling, legal services, curriculum and education classes, and employment services, in order to give his life a better direction. Later, in 2013, Richard Cabral was awarded the Lo Maximo Award from Homeboy Industries. The award is given to the HI (Homeboy Industries) service recipients who give back to the community.
- He was also cast in the music video for the song Grenade by in the year 2010.
- His credits as a producer include working on projects such as Jesus and Moi, Khali the Killer, In Varrio We Trust, Out the Box, The Was, and Secret Love.
- Between 2014 and 2015, Richard Cabral directed a few episodes of the TV show, Out the Box.
- He is well-versed in Spanish.
- He has served as a writer for In Varrio We Trust, Out the Box, as well as Secret Love. Moreover, he has also served as a writer for a one-man show titled Fighting Shadows, alongside Robert Egan, which revolves around his experiences as a former gang member.
- Follow Richard Cabral on , , and .
Featured Image by Richard Cabral / Instagram
Facts of Richard Cabral
- Gender Male
- full nameRichard Cabral
- nicknamesBaby Jokes
- birthplaceLos Angeles, California, United States
- Date of Birth August 28, 1984
- Age 39 years 0 months
- Horoscope Virgo
- Lucky Number 4
- Lucky Stone Sapphire
- Lucky Color Green
- Best Match for Marriage Taurus, Capricorn
- ethnicity / ethnic backgroundMexican and American
- net worth$100,000 - $1Million
- professionActor, Writer, Director, Producer, Poet
- weight70 kg or 154.5 lbs
- height5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
- hair colorDark Brown
- eye colorDark Brown
- body type / buildAthletic