Rio Ferdinand is an English former professional soccer player who is widely regarded as one of the greatest defenders ever to have been produced by the country. During his storied club career, he had represented the top-flight English clubs West Ham United (1995-2000), Leeds United (2000-2002), Manchester United (2002-2014), and Queens Park Rangers (2014-2015). With West Ham United, he had won the UEFA Intertoto Cup in 1999. With Manchester United, he had won the Premier League title 6 times (2002–03, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13), the FA Community Shield 4 times (2003, 2007, 2008, 2011), the Football League Cup twice (2005–06, 2008–09), the UEFA Champions League in the 2007–08 season, and the FIFA Club World Cup in 2008. At the international level, he had been capped 81 times by England and had been selected in 4 successive FIFA World Cup squads (1998, 2002, 2006, 2010; although he had to miss out in 2010 due to an injury). He had retired from the sport in May 2015 and was inducted into the ‘English Football Hall of Fame’ in 2016.
Rio Gavin Ferdinand
King’s College Hospital, Camberwell, Lambeth, London, England, United Kingdom
London, England, United Kingdom
Rio had attended the Camelot Primary School and the Blackheath Bluecoat School, both in London. When he was 11 years old, he had earned a scholarship to join the Central School of Ballet in London. He had attended classes there, 4 days a week, for 4 years.
Professional Soccer Player (Retired)
- Father – Julian Ferdinand (Former Tailor)
- Mother – Janice Lavender (Former Child Care Employee) (d. July 13, 2017)
- Siblings – Anton Ferdinand (Younger Brother) (Professional Soccer Player (Retired))
- Others – Peter St. Fort (Step-Father), Sian Ferdinand (Half-Sister), Remi Ferdinand (Half-Sister), Chloe Ferdinand (Half-Sister), Anya Ferdinand (Half-Sister), Jeremiah Ferdinand (Half-Brother), Lesley Ellison (Ex-Mother-in-Law), Stephen Ellison (Ex-Father-in-Law), Les Ferdinand (Cousin) (Professional Soccer Manager, Professional Soccer Player (Retired)), Kane Ferdinand (Cousin) (Professional Soccer Player), Phil Wright (Father-in-Law), Jacqueline Wright (Mother-in-Law)
He is represented by Jake Mallen, Manager and Booking Agent, New Era Ingenious Ltd., London, England, United Kingdom.
- 21, 5, 12, 14 – England
- 15 – West Ham United
- 29 – Leeds United
- 6, 5 – Manchester United
- 5 – Queens Park Rangers
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rio has dated –
- Naima Belkhiati
- Abigail Titmuss
- Tslil Sela – Rumor
- Holly McGuire (1999–2004)
- Rebecca Ellison (2001–2015) – Rio had started dating former fitness trainer Rebecca Ellison in 2001. They got engaged in July 2007 and were married in 2009. They had 3 children together – 2 sons named Lorenz Ferdinand (b. 2006) and Tate Ferdinand (b. 2008), and a daughter named Tia Ferdinand (b. 2011). The couple was together until Rebecca’s death, due to breast cancer, on May 2, 2015.
- Lauren Alcorn (2001-2007)
- Sarah Whatmore (2002)
- Roberta Whitney (2002)
- Tatiane Rosalino (2002)
- Louise Glover (2004)
- Francoise Boufhal (2009)
- (2017–Present) – Rio began dating reality TV star Kate Wright in 2017 and the couple got married on September 27, 2019.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Black and White)
He is of African-Saint Lucian descent on his father’s side and Irish descent on his mother’s side.
- Toned physique
- Towering frame
- Close-cropped hair
- Sports a rugged beard
He had been sponsored, during his playing days, by the sportswear manufacturing giant Nike.
Rio Ferdinand Facts
- When Rio had made his senior international debut for England in 1997, in a game against Cameroon, he had set the then-record for being the youngest defender to represent England.
- When he was signed by English club Leeds United, in November 2000, for a fee of £18 million, he had set the then British record for a soccer player’s transfer fee. The sum had also made him the world’s most expensive defender at that time.
- In September 2003, while playing for Manchester United, he had missed a drug test due to which he was banned from competitive soccer for 8 months. The punishment had not only cost him a significant chunk of the domestic and European club season in 2004, it had also caused him to miss the Euro 2004 international competition.
- This was just the start of a cursed relationship with the tournament for him as England had failed to qualify for the 2008 edition of the tournament and he was controversially left out of the squad for the 2012 edition. This meant that he never got a chance to represent England at the competition despite such a long and prolific career.
- In September 2017, he had announced that he had decided to become a professional boxer, primarily to cope with the death of his wife 2 years earlier; a tragedy that had pushed him to announce his retirement from competitive soccer. He had quit boxing in May 2018 though, after the British Boxing Board of Control (BBBC) had refused to grant him a professional boxing license.
- For his performances in the English club scene, he was included in the PFA ‘Premier League Team of the Year’ 6 times (2001–02, 2004–05, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09, 2012–13). He was also included in the FIFPro ‘World XI’ for the 2007–08 season.
Featured Image by Rio Ferdinand / Instagram
Facts of Rio Ferdinand
- full nameRio Ferdinand
- Date of Birth November 07, 1978
- Age 44 years 4 months
- Horoscope Scorpio
- Lucky Number 7
- Lucky Stone Garnet
- Lucky Color Purple
- Best Match for Marriage Capricorn, Cancer, Pisces
- weight84 kg
- height6 ft 2 in