Rooney Mara is an American actress, producer, voiceover artist, and animal rights activist who comes from an affluent background of the Rooney and Mara sports business families and has given many critically acclaimed performances in projects such as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Social Network, Carol, Ain’t Them Bodies Saints, Tanner Hall, and Mary Magdalene. Apart from that, she has also worked towards a number of social causes and founded the charity Faces of Kibera.
Patricia Rooney Mara
Bedford, New York, United States
Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles, California, United States
Rooney studied and graduated from Fox Lane High School in 2003. Once completing her graduation, she traveled to Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia in South America for four months. This was a part of the Traveling School she was involved in, which had an open learning environment.
After that, she went to George Washington University for a year and then enrolled into Gallatin School of Individualized Study in New York City, wherein she attended classes in psychology, international social policy, and nonprofits, and from there, she finally graduated in 2010.
Actress, Producer, Voiceover Artist, Animal Rights Activist
- Father – Timothy Christopher Mara (Vice President of player evaluation for the New York Giants)
- Mother – Kathleen McNulty (Part-time Real Estate Agent)
- Siblings – (Actress) (Older Sister), Daniel Mara (Older Brother), Conor Mara (Younger Brother)
- Others – Wellington Timothy Mara (Paternal Grandfather), Ann/Anne Maria Teresa Mumm (Paternal Grandmother), Timothy James “Tim” Rooney (Maternal Grandfather), June Ann Marraccini (Maternal Grandmother), John Mara (Uncle), Wellington Mara (Grandfather), Tim Mara (Great Grandfather), Art Rooney, Sr (Great Grandfather), Dan Rooney (Great Uncle)
Rooney Mara’s career is managed by Management 360, Talent Management Company, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
52 kg or 115 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Rooney Mara has been romantically linked with –
- (2010-2016) – Rooney met actor and director Charlie McDowell in 2010. The couple fell in love and started dating each other. The duo was spotted together at several award shows and after-parties. They broke up in 2016.
- (2016-Present) – In 2016, Rooney started dating actor Joaquin Phoenix. They have acted together in many films. In July 2019, it was publicly announced that the duo had got engaged. In August 2020, Rooney gave birth to a child, son River Phoenix. He was named after Joaquin’s late brother, River Phoenix. The duo also had 2 dogs named Soda and Oskar.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Irish, Italian, German, and French-Canadian descent.
- Petite figure
- Green eyes
- Dimpled smile
- Tough attitude
33-23-34 in or 84-58.5-86 cm
4 (US) or 36 (EU)
7 (US) or 4.5 (UK) or 37.5 (EU)
She has appeared in the TV Commercial for ’s “Downtown” (2014), which was directed by David Fincher.
She is probably Roman Catholic.
Best Known For
Playing the roles as Nancy Holbrook in A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Lisbeth Salander in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011), Ruth Guthrie in Ain’t Them Bodies Saints (2013), Emily Taylor in Side Effects (2013), and Catherine in Her (2013)
She played as classroom girl #1 in her debut horror film Urban Legends: Bloody Mary in 2005. It was a direct-to-video film.
First TV Show
She portrayed the role of Jessica DeLay (guest appearance) in NBC’s Law & Order: Special Victims Unit in 2006 in an episode titled “Fat.”
Rooney Mara is considered to be a Vegan.
She eats healthy food that has not been washed in ammonia.
Rooney Mara Favorite Things
- Place – Los Angeles
- Sports Team – Pittsburgh Steelers (Football Team), New York Giants (Football Team)
- Apparels – Anything Stylish and Vintage
- Style Icon – Gena Rowlands
- Movies – Gone With The Wind (1939), Rebecca (1940), Bringing Up Baby (1938), A Woman Under the Influence (1974), Opening Night (1977)
- Actress – , Joan Fontaine, Gena Rowlands
- Actor – Clark Gable, Laurence Olivier
- Filmmakers – , , Victor Fleming, George Cukor, David Fincher
Source – IMDb.com, Wikipedia.org
Rooney Mara Facts
- Rooney Mara established the non-profit organization Faces of Kibera which gives housing, food, and medical care facilities to orphans in Kibera, which is a slum in Nairobi, Kenya. The organization’s goal is to construct an orphanage in the region, for which 6 acres of land has already been bought.
- The ear, eyebrow, and nipple piercings that Rooney Mara showcased via the character Lisbeth Salander in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) were not cosmetic simulations. They were original. She also received an Academy and a Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Actress for this film.
- She is the ambassador for Uweza Foundation, which supports empowerment programs for children and families in Africa.
- She was placed third on Askmen’s list of ‘ of 2012′.
- She was offered the role of Estella in Great Expectations (2012) but she turned it down due to scheduling conflicts and the role was eventually played by .
- Rooney Mara’s mother’s family established the Pittsburgh Steelers whereas her father’s family established the New York Giants.
- For her critically praised performance in the film Carol, she was awarded the “Best Actress Award” at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival. The role also got her nominated for the 2016 Critics’ Choice Movie Award for “Best Supporting Actress”.
- Alongside , , and , she co-starred as Faye, a guitarist looking for success as a musician, in the 2017 experimental romantic drama film, Song to Song. For this role, she learned to play the guitar.
- She played the titular role in the 2018 biblical drama film, Mary Magdalene, in which she co-starred alongside Joaquin Phoenix, , and Tahar Rahim.
- She has been friends with actress and filmmaker .
- Rooney is not on social media.
Facts of Rooney Mara
- full nameRooney Mara
- Date of Birth April 17, 1985
- Age 38 years 5 months
- Horoscope Aries
- Lucky Number 8
- Lucky Stone Diamond
- Lucky Color Red
- Best Match for Marriage Leo
- weight52 kg
- height5 ft 3 in