Sean Gelael is an Indonesian professional racing driver who started competing in the FIA Formula 2 Championship in 2017 and has also participated as a test driver for Toro Rosso‘s teams in the premier Formula One World Championship (2017-2019). Before joining Formula 2, he had competed in several intermediate tiers and feeder series such as the FIA Formula 3 European Championship (2013-2014), the British Formula 3 Championship (2013-2014), the Formula Renault 3.5 Series (2015), and the GP2 Series (2015-2016). He had stood in 3rd place in the 2015-16 season of the Asian Le Mans Series, winning both the races that he had competed in. He had also competed in the last 3 races of the 9-race 2016 FIA World Endurance Championship, in the LMP2 class, and had secured a creditable 12th position in the overall standings by finishing in the ‘Top 5’ in all of the races that he had participated in.
Muhammad Sean Ricardo Gelael
Professional Racing Driver
- Father – Ricardo Gelael (Businessman, Owner of the Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) franchise for Indonesia, Founder of the Chicken Jagonya Racing Team)
- Mother – Rini S. Bono (aka RA Sri Sudarini) (Actress)
- Others – Debbie Cinthya Dewi (Maternal Step-Aunt) (Actress, Former Model), Ahmad Albar (Step-Father) (Musician), S. Bono (aka RMS Partosandjojo) (Maternal Grandfather) (Actor) (d. 1993), Lies Permana Lestari (Maternal Grandmother), Dick Gelael (Paternal Grandfather) (Businessman, Former Owner of PT Gelael Supermarket, PT Fast Food Indonesia, and PT Multi Food Indonesia) (d. 2014), Fauzi Albar (Half-Brother) (Vocalist), Fadli Albar (Half-Brother) (d. 2018), Fachry Albar (Half-Brother) (Actor), Renata Kusmanto (Half-Sister-in-Law) (Actress, Model), River Syech Albar (Half-Nephew), Clover Satin Albar (Half-Niece), Arieya Bima (Step-Cousin), Fajar Faisal (Step-Cousin), Alfian Bumulo (Maternal Step-Uncle)
1 – FIA Formula 2 Championship
Formula One Teams
Sean has raced for –
- Scuderia Toro Rosso (2017) (Test Driver)
- Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda (2018-2019) (Test Driver)
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
78 kg or 172 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
- Toned physique
- Side-cropped hair
- Clean-shaven look
- Charming smile
- Has a mole on his chin and one under his right eye
Sean has been sponsored by –
- Jagonya Ayam
- Bank Negara Indonesia
- Pertamax Turbo
- DANA Indonesia
Sean Gelael Facts
- Like most professional racers, Sean had started his racing career with karts and had first come into the spotlight after winning the 2011 Asian Karting Open Championship – Formula 125 Senior Open.
- His single-seater racing career kicked off in the following year when he competed in the Formula Pilota China series and finished the season in the 4th place in the overall standings and 2nd in the ‘Best Asian Trophy’ standings.
- He is a confessed foodie and a fried chicken enthusiast. This can be attributed in no small part to Dick Gelael, his paternal grandfather, who had owned PT Fast Food Indonesia, the company that worked as the Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) franchise for Indonesia. The business was later inherited by Sean’s father Ricardo Gelael.
- He is also known for his peculiar helmet design which includes a sneaker, a KFC bucket on the top, and the word ‘Gelaelized’ represented as a wacky sticker.
Featured Image by Sean Gelael / Instagram
Facts of Sean Gelael
- full nameSean Gelael
- Date of Birth November 01, 1996
- Age 25 years 2 months
- Horoscope Scorpio
- Lucky Number 10
- Lucky Stone Garnet
- Lucky Color Purple
- Best Match for Marriage Capricorn, Cancer, Pisces
- weight78 kg
- height6 ft 2 in