Toby Jones is a talented English actor. He is best known for his roles in Infamous, The Painted Veil, The Mist, Frost/Nixon, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Berberian Sound Studio, The Hunger Games, Tale of Tales, Dad’s Army, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, The Girl, and Detectorists. Toby is the voice behind the famous Harry Potter character “Dobby”. Apart from that, he has done voice-over roles in The Adventures of Tintin, Christopher Robin, Captain America: The First Avenger, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier. He studied drama for 2 years in L’École Internationale de Théâtre Jacques Lecoq in Paris.
Stockwell, South London, England, United Kingdom
Toby Jones studied in the Christ Church Cathedral School and Abingdon School in Oxfordshire. From 1986 to 1989, he attended the University of Manchester to study drama.
After that, he joined L’École Internationale de Théâtre Jacques Lecoq in Paris for another 2 years to further study the art.
Toby Jones has appeared in the commercials for brands like Kellogg’s Rice Krispies.
Best Known For
His numerous roles in films and TV series including Infamous (2006) as Truman Capote, The Painted Veil (2006) as Waddington, The Mist (2007) as Ollie Weeks, Frost/Nixon (2008) as Swifty Lazar, Berberian Sound Studio (2012) as Gilderoy, The Hunger Games (2012) as Claudius Templesmith, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) as Gunnar Eversoll, Detectorists (2014–2017) as Lance Stater, and Wayward Pines (2015–2016) as David Pilcher/Dr. Jenkins
In 1992, he made his theatrical film debut in the biographical fantasy drama film Orlando as the Second Valet.
In 2002, he made his debut as a voice actor in the adventure fantasy film Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets as Dobby.
First TV Show
In 1993, he made his first TV show appearance on the comedy-drama series Lovejoy as Sgt. Protheroe.
In 2014, he lent his voice in the role of a ‘Narrator’ on the documentary series Natural World.
Toby Jones practices hot or the Bikram Yoga regularly to stay fit. Regular yoga helps him “sweat his guts out”. Yoga also helps him to relax from his hectic schedule.
Toby Jones Favorite Things
- Smell – Petrol
- Word – Obfuscate
Toby Jones Facts
- Growing up, he was rebellious and did not want to follow his parent’s profession of becoming an actor.
- He was interested in miming and clowning and saw himself more as a director.
- Toby shares great similarities with fellow actor Tom Hollander apart from having the same height; they were both born in Oxford, both went to Abingdon School, and were contemporaries of the band Radiohead.
- Toby Jones has worked with Mackenzie Crook in several projects like Christopher Robin (2018), Detectorists (2014), Muppets Most Wanted (2014), The Adventures of Tintin (2011), and City of Ember (2008).
- His greatest fears are needles and zombies.
- Toby’s earliest memory of childhood is piggybacking around London Zoo with his aunt at the age of 3.
- His most embarrassing moment was being sold a whole heap of duff carpets in India.
- Toby’s most treasured possession is sketches by Quentin Blake.
- He would like to live in a deluxe tree house.
- His superpower would be the ability to fly.
- Repeating mistakes makes him depressed.
- His most unappealing habit is the tendency to monopolize the volume dial late at night.
- He considers himself to be a cat person.
- Astronaut’s gear with a proper screw-on helmet would be his fancy dress costume of choice.
- The worst thing anyone’s said to him is ‘Please accompany me to the back of the shop.’
- His guiltiest pleasure is stealing his children’s sweets.
- To him, love feels urgent, compulsive, and all-consuming.
- He would invite his friends who are now dispersed to his dream dinner party, as Fats Waller plays the piano in the corner.
- His biggest disappointment is that his children won’t meet some of their grandparents and great-grandparents.
- If he could edit his past, he would cut out the time where he spent worrying about the future.
- He normally relaxes by cooking, gardening, swinging on ropes with his family, and conceptualizing with friends.
- His closest encounter with death was when he was almost garroted during a dress rehearsal when his neck became entangled in lighting cable as he dangled in mid-air at the National Theatre in 1994.
- He stated that he had felt the real sense of achievement only during his school days and everything after that seems like an ongoing process of mistake and discovery.
- Foxes and doubt keep him awake at night.
- He would want the song Going Down by Freddie King to be played at his funeral.
- He would like to be remembered as an open-minded person.
- The most important lesson life has taught him is to endeavor to live in the present moment.
- He is not active on social media.
Featured Image by Toby Jones / Instagram
Facts of Tobias Edward Heslewood Jones
- Gender Male
- full nameTobias Edward Heslewood Jones
- middle nameEdward
- birthplaceHammersmith, London, England, United Kingdom
- Date of Birth September 07, 1966
- Age 56 years 8 months
- Horoscope Virgo
- Lucky Number 11
- Lucky Stone Sapphire
- Lucky Color Green
- Best Match for Marriage Taurus, Capricorn
- net worth$200 thousand
- weight70 kg or 154.5 lbs
- height5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
- hair colorLight Brown
- eye colorBlue
- body type / buildAverage
- collegeUniversity of Manchester
- motherJennifer Jones
- fatherFreddie Jones
- brothersRupert Jones, Casper Jones