Vilma Santos is a Filipino actress and politician who is widely acknowledged as one of the greatest and most successful actors in the history of the Philippines. She had started her career in 1963, as a child artist, and had continued working prolifically in movies and TV series well into the 1990s. In the latter half of her career, she had turned to politics and had served as the mayor of the city of Lipa for 3 successive terms (June 1998–June 2007). She had then served as the governor of the province of Batangas for 3 terms in a row (June 2007-June 2016). In June 2016, she was elected as a ‘Member of the Philippine House of Representatives’ from the Lone District of Lipa. In August 2019, she was appointed to the post of ‘Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives’ of the Philippines.
Maria Rosa Vilma Tuazon Santos
Vilma, Star For All Seasons, Grand Slam Queen, Queen of Queens
Bamban, Tarlac, Philippines
Batangas, Calabarzon, Luzon, Philippines
Vilma had completed her elementary and secondary education from the St. Mary’s Academy in Yakal, Manila.
- Father – Amado Santos
- Mother – Mila Tuazon Santos
- Siblings – Winnie Santos (Sister) (Actress), Sonny Santos (Brother), Emelyn Santos (Sister)
- Others – Plinky Recto (Sister-in-Law) (Actress, TV Host), Ricky Recto (Brother-in-Law) (Politician, Former Vice-Governor of the province of Batangas), Claro M. Recto (Grandfather-in-Law) (Politician, Jurist, Poet, Former Senator) (d. October 2, 1960), Rafael Recto (Father-in-Law) (Politician), Carmen Gonzalez-Recto (Mother-in-Law), Adrian Manzano (Ex-Father-in-Law), Rosario Manzano (Ex-Mother-in-Law)
5 ft or 152.5 cm
52 kg or 114.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Vilma has dated –
- Romeo Vasquez (1976)
- Edu Manzano (1980–1984) – Vilma had started dating American-Filipino actor, comedian, politician, TV personality, and Air Force veteran Edu Manzano in 1980. They got married later that year and have a son together named Luis Philippe ‘Lucky’ Santos Manzano (b. April 21, 1981) (Actor, TV Host, VJ, Model). The couple got divorced in 1984.
- Ralph Recto (1992-Present) – She got married to Filipino politician Ralph Recto on December 11, 1992. They have a son together named Ryan Christian Santos Recto (b. March 29, 1996).
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Filipino descent.
- Petite frame
- Affable smile
- Radiant face
- Neck-length, straight hair
Vilma Santos Facts
- It was one of Vilma’s uncles, a cameraman at the Sampaguita Pictures production company, who had kickstarted her acting career. He had convinced her parents that she should audition for the role of a child star in the 1963 movie Anak, Ang Iyong Ina.
- Upon reaching the studio, she had accidentally stood in the audition line for another film called Trudis Liit (Little Trudis). She was asked to sing, dance, and cry, on cue, and she did so well that she was given the lead role. She went on to win the ‘Best Child Performer’ award at the FAMAS Awards for her performance in the film.
- In June 1998, she had become the first female mayor of the city of Lipa.
- In 2005, she was honored with the ‘Gawad Plaridel Award’ by the University of the Philippines Diliman in recognition of her achievements as both an actress and a public servant/administrator.
Featured Image by Vilma Santos / Instagram
Facts of Vilma Santos
- full nameVilma Santos
- Date of Birth November 03, 1953
- Age 69 years 4 months
- Horoscope Scorpio
- Lucky Number 5
- Lucky Stone Garnet
- Lucky Color Purple
- Best Match for Marriage Capricorn, Cancer, Pisces
- weight52 kg
- height5 ft