Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands is the King of the Netherlands who succeeded to the throne after the abdication of his mother Beatrix of the Netherlands on April 30, 2013.
Willem-Alexander Claus George Ferdinand
Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, W. A. van Buren
University Medical Center Utrecht, Utrecht, Netherlands
Huis ten Bosch, The Hague, Netherlands
Willem-Alexander studied at local state primary school Nieuwe Baarnse Elementary School in Baarn from 1973 to 1979. He went on to study at the Baarns Lyceum in Baarn from 1979 to 1981 and the Eerste Vrijzinnig Christelijk Lyceum in The Hague from 1981 to 1983.
Later, he received his International Baccalaureate from the United World College of the Atlantic in Wales, United Kingdom. In 1987, he started studying History at Leiden University and received his MA degree (doctorandus) in 1993.
King of the Netherlands
- Father – Prince Claus of the Netherlands (Prince Consort of the Netherlands from Beatrix’s ascension in 1980 until his death)
- Mother – Beatrix of the Netherlands (Queen of the Netherlands from 1980 until her abdication in 2013)
- Siblings – Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau (Late Younger Brother) (Passed away on August 12, 2013), Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands (Younger Brother)
- Others – Jorge Zorreguieta (Father-In-Law) (Served as Secretary of Agriculture under General Jorge Rafael Videla during Argentina’s last civil-military dictatorship), María del Carmen Cerruti Carricart (Mother-In-Law)
6 ft or 183 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Willem-Alexander has dated –
- (also known as Queen Máxima of the Netherlands) (1999-Present) – He was first introduced to the New York City-based Argentinian investment banker Máxima Zorreguieta Cerruti in April 1999 during the Seville Spring Fair. The duo married in a civil ceremony on February 2, 2002, in the Beurs van Berlage, Amsterdam, followed by a religious ceremony at Amsterdam’s Nieuwe Kerk (“New Church”). They have been blessed with 3 daughters – (b. December 7, 2003), (b. June 26, 2005), and (b. April 10, 2007).
Race / Ethnicity
- Tall stature
- Deep-set eyes
Protestant Church in the Netherlands
Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands Facts
- At birth, he received the title “His Royal Highness Prince Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg”.
- He performed his military service in the Royal Netherlands Navy from August 1985 until January 1987.
- He takes interest in sports and international water management issues.
- He is an avid pilot and once stated that had he not been a royal, he would have liked to be an airline pilot.
- In addition to Dutch, he is also well-versed in English, Spanish, French, and German.
- He once said, “I’m not a protocol fetishist. It’s more important to me that people feel at ease when I’m with them.”
Featured Image by Koos Breukel / / Public Domain
Facts of Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands
- full nameWillem-Alexander of the Netherlands
- Date of Birth April 27, 1967
- Age 54 years 7 months
- Horoscope Taurus
- Lucky Number 9
- Lucky Stone Emerald
- Lucky Color Green
- Best Match for Marriage Virgo, Cancer, Capricorn
- weight72 kg
- height6 ft